Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gears setup ?s....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by broncoman6524, Jan 12, 2007.

1. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

ok this is a front 10b going to install 373s from 308s...the 373s are attached to a carrier and i still have the shims from it. now on the axle under my truck can i just take like a total lenght measure ment and compare it to the total lenght measurement from the other diff. the find the dist from one side of the diff to center section. then shim accordingly to make sure the numbers remain mostly the same correct?

the pinion crush sleeve has already been crushed from it being set up into the other axle...so this should just be pop mine out and install this one correct???

please help i hope to put hte new rear end with 373s in by tues and i would like to have 4wd again ASAP:haha: (3.08 to 373 si gonna make the itch to wheel even worse) :haha:

2. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I kind of don't get this. You still will have to set them up like they were new gears. Specs change a bit when using used gears. You are going to need a new crush sleeve and you are going to need to reset the pinion depth. Using the old shims to get backlash may work but the pinion depth is too important to just use the old shims. Gears are under alot of strain. They need to be set up well or you will break them.

3. broncoman6524

sooo i guess i should just have somebody install them:( i kinda dont have that kinda money. and when you say reset pinion backlash. you just torque it toa certain inch/pound right?

4. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

pinion depth is how far the pinion sticks out of the front part of the housing, it sets up the gear pattern(how the pinion gear meshes with the ring gear) backlash is the amount of play before the ring gear engages the pinion gear. Pinion bearing preload is what you measure inch pounds from, it sets well the pinion bearings preload.

If you have time you could put everything together with the shims that came out of the old housings and run a pattern to see what it comes out too. I have had this work about twice when setting up used gears. Dont run them though if the pattern is wrong. You are still going to need a new crush sleeve

5. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

6. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

Take the shims from the 3.08s and use them as your strarting point when setting up the 3.73's then adjust form there. You might want to see how much a shop charges, but then again, used gears, some shops won't want to deal with it.

7. broncoman6524

well...i started to replace the seals/bearings int he rear end today...when i pulled the diff to check the bearings the pass side was DESTROYEd every roller was chewed up and hte race was ate up to hell...i couldnt figure out why anymore than 12ftlbs on the caps wouldnt let it spin...now i know:haha: .

what is the set torque on those caps? ive got hte pinion set back to almost exactly where it was originally...now ive just got to get these damn bearings fixed...so much for gettingthis rear end in by tues mornin...:mad: ****in work