Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gears - Which brand???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Mudzer, Dec 14, 2000.

1. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

I have the choce of three brands for my 12 bolt 4.88 gears. They are listed from top to bottom in order of price and strength - from what I was told.

Superior
    Richmond
    Yukon

The guy at Randys said the Yukons are stronger than the Richmonds. Do any of you guys have experience with any of these brands. I had Richmonds in my 12 sec. Firebird without problems.

Mudzer 1978/91 K5
    <font color=blue>www.mudzer.coloradoK5.com</font color=blue>

2. I ran Richmonds in my last set of axles without any problems. They were 4:56's and I'm not sure what the ones are in the Burb, I think they are Richmond too.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

3. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I was told by a friend who owns a shop that he prefers the Richmonds...I would have run them in my 14 bolt, but Richmond didn't have a gear for it. He also prefers US Gear, which is what I am running. I just put them in, so don't have much in the way of experience to tell you yet, hopefully they last a long time! Richmond has been a racers favorite for a long time, I don't think you can go wrong with them...what does everyone else think?

4. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

5. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

They are all about the same price give or take markup capital. But any of these gears should give you years of good service as long as they are set up properly. That is the #1 key. I've heard so man ystories about people doing them theirselves and other scared sh*tless to do this job. But my uncle has been a Gm mech for well over 30 years, and said it is very very easy once you have been "shown" how to correctly. But back to the subject, I think from hand-me-down experience from my uncle and everyone he knows, they all say Richmond, but opinions are like a$$holes, everybody knows one.

I miss my Ex, but my aim is getting better!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

6. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    I have run the Richmond 4.56:1 in my 12 bolt rear since 1986ish.
    If you get richmond make sure you don't get the Nickle racing gears, they are to soft for our sport
    they are made to take the shock load at the starting line(1/4 mile racing).

7. FWP

FWP CRS

Gotta agree- Richmond. Happy with my sets, 3 years running, did the install myself.

[​IMG]

8. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Richmond has got my vote too. Though ihave been runnign US Gear lately. They are the same company that goes under the Racing name STRANGE. Most of the guys in racing know about Strange axles and housings. I think the two gear companies put out some quality product. Then again the gears are only as good as the install.