Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gears?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ggallin13, Apr 10, 2000.

1. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

How can you tell which gears you have? I looked on the tech page here at ColoradoK5 and it says at the top that the info doesn't apply to Jimmys (I have an '82).

2. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

The sure fire way to know exactly what you've got is to take off one of your diff covers and count the teeth. Take the number of teeth on the ring gear and divide it by the number of teeth on the pinion gear and thats your gear ratio.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

3. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Well an old method I learned from a farmer was to make a chalk mark on your tire and mark where it is in location to the ground, then count the revolutions of the driveline until you reach that point again. For instance 3 revolutions of the tire would be 3.08 gears. I marked a line on the drive shaft to.

4. Steve88

Steve88 1/2 ton status

Not a sure fire way, (since they obviously could have been changed), but if you still have that sticker in your glove-box there is a post here that had the codes for gears (Gxx).

<font color=red>Steve88</font color=red>[​IMG]
    88K5 Silverado
    thunderdog@metallica.com

5. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If your going to pull the cover, the ratio will be stamped on the gear, just rotate untill you can see it. Mine says something like 10 4 1 wich means 4:10 gears. Also the Blazer specs are nearly identicle (did I spell that right) to the Jimmy, I just put that disclaimer there because I got most of the info from a Chevy book.

Steve