Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gears?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bigcountryk5, Apr 18, 2005.

1. bigcountryk5

bigcountryk5 1/2 ton status

how do i figure out what kind of gears are in my axle's?

i figure i have to pull the cover off but what then?

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

1) You can pull the cover off and count the # of teeth on the ring gear and divide that by the # of teeth on the pinion gear. You also get to inspect the diff fluid for metal shavings.

2) There should be a stamp on the ring gear.

3) You can leave the diff cover on and put a chalk mark on the driveshaft and a mark on a tire. Have someone drive in a straight line slowly and count the number of times the driveshaft rotates after the tire rotates one time.

3. bigcountryk5

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

The chalk mark on the driveshaft method works, but its sometimes off. Sometimes doing it that way is hard to tell the difference between 3.73's and 4.10's, or 3.42's and 3.73's. The best way to make sure you know exactly what the gear ratio is, is to pull the diff cover. There will be a stamp on the outside edge of the ring gear. There will be a string of numbers. The first one is a long one which is the serial number. Then there will be 4 more. 2 of those are the gear ratio, you divide the two to find the gear ratio. Im going from memory so it might not look exactly like this but it should be something close: (17854623-serial number, then 7 81-this would be the build date july 1981 in this case, then 9 41-this would be 4.56's in this case). It might not look exactly like that (17854623 7 81 9 41), but you get the idea.
    -Harrison

5. bigcountryk5

thanks again for the help

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

to know 100% pull diff cover and look on outside flat edge of ring gear, it iwll ahve teeth counts of both gears stamped into it, and also gm part number and also date stamping code, divide the teeth counts to get ratio

7. LittlecountryK15

LittlecountryK15 Registered Member

we got it off and the only number seen were 6 21 76 DANA E 18520 A3D6 45 11.......I divided 45 11 and got 4.0909091 so does that mean that I have 4:10 gears or am I doing this wrong?