Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gears ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudslinger99, Jun 24, 2005.

1. mudslinger99

mudslinger99 1/2 ton status

How do you know if you have thick or standard gears without having both in front of you to decide which one is thicker ?

If you have 4.56 gears how would you know if they are thick gears or if the carrier had been changed to accept 4.56 standard gears ?

Which is better thick gears or changing the carrier to accept standard gears ?

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

what axle are we talkin about here? ff14b? From what I remember, its pretty rare for a rig to have the 4.56+ carrier unless it was a military ff14b which came with 4.56s and detroits stock. Pretty sure most ff14bs have 4.10 gears and use the normal 4.10- carrier.

pull the cover and take a pic with a ruler held up next to the gear...

with this axle it really is more about 'which gears are cheaper/easier to find' then it is 'which is stronger'. Chances are, a ff14b isn't going to break... if it does, it probably won't be the r&p that does assuming the gears are set up right and have oil. 5.13s are hard to find for the 4.56+ carrier... and if you do find them, they cost more than the "thick" 5.13s. For that reason alone, I'd go with the 4.10- carrier and thick gears.

j

3. mudslinger99

Yeah it is a 14 bolt ff ..

The reason I asked how to tell the difference between thick gears and standard is because lets say somebody wants to sell you 4.56 and you got 4.10 which I do then how would I know just by looking at them if they are 4.56 thick or standard ?

To clarify even more lets say I go over to my buddies house and he shows me a set of gears and ask me if they are thick or standard how do I tell the difference just by looking at them ?

I was told yesterday that if the carrier had been changed I would need standard gears if not then I would need thick gears.. So I need to know how to just look at the gears and decide if they are thick or standard..

Thanks

4. mudslinger99

Thanks you answered that question perfectly :waytogo:

Now I know not to ever change carriers..

5. jekbrown

np. The 4.10- carrier is the one to have. Just an example... look at the gears page on 4wpw. "thick" 5.13s for the ff14b are $195.99.... standard 5.13 gears for the 4.56+ carrier are $341.99. That pretty much says it all right there. ;)

j

6. mudslinger99

Now I just need to figure this part out..

So how do tell the difference between thick gears and standard gears by just looking at them ?

To clarify even more lets say I go over to my buddies house and he shows me a set of gears and ask me if they are thick or standard how do I tell the difference just by looking at them ?

7. jekbrown

if it will help, I'll measure my "thick" ff14b ring gear thickness when it arrives. Its gonna be 4-5 weeks tho...

j

8. mudslinger99

OK thanks

I thought maybe there was enough difference to tell like standard might be 2 inches and thick might be 4 inches just to throw some numbers out there..

9. jekbrown

I'm thinking they are within an inch of each other with respect to thickness... could be wrong, I haven't seen 5.13 thick gears in person. Safe to say that neither is 4" thick though. ;)

j

10. mudslinger99

Yeah I was just throwing those numbers out there as an example :D

I thought maybe they were easy to tell apart due to thickness or some type of markings or numbers but I guess that would be to easy :dunno:

I'm happy with the 4.10's in it now with the 33 inch tires but I might have to change them up when I put the 36 inch tires on.. I got a 4.56 ring and pinion that came with the truck when I bought it that is suppose to fit the 14ff.. I got them over a buddies house in a box of other parts and never really paid much attention to them so I don't know if they fit or not.. The guy I got the truck from was going to put them in so I would think they are right but who knows :grin:

Let me know when you get your new gears and tell me what if any way you could tell a difference just by loooking..