Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jayccb, Jan 21, 2006.

1. jayccb

jayccb Registered Member

I am running 35s on a 10 bolt with 3.40. The rear end was rebuilt, I would like to run 4.56 according to a chart I read. When changing gears, is that rebuilding the rear end and front end? Will the 10 bolt hold up? Is the th700r a good transmission, will it hold up to abuse and an engine swap down the line?
    thanks

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I run 4.10'sin a 10 and 12 and like them. A 10blt will be fine if you're not too aggressive on the gas. You HAVE to change front and rears together if that's what you're asking. I like my 700 and have just rebuilt and beefed it after 170,000 miles. They're good boxes when not abused so I guess it depends what motor swap you're thinking of. If you're considering ZZ502 or similar I think you'd want to get the box seriously beefed to take it but it will handle a good small block ok. (IMO)

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

700 will hold up ,if you keep it cool, with a mild motor. The OD is nice with those gears and that size tire. I am running 39.5 with 4.56 and a 700.