Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gears

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DUK5, May 3, 2007.

1. DUK5

DUK5 Registered Member

I have a 1990 blazer, I put a 4inch lift on and installed 33 inch tires . My blazer has stock axels with 3.73 gears. My problem is it goes in and out of overdrive what should I do? Thanks Jayson

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Check your fluid level. Check the TV cable setting. If they're ok you either need re gear, fit one of those TV valves that needs more throttle position to kick down (not a good idea with the gearing cauing that problem) or drive in D! You'll not do your tranny any favours making shift up and down constantly like that.

3. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

Drive faster or slower. :doah:

4. DUK5

DUK5 Registered Member

Should I have new gears put in, the motor and trans are fine.If I put bigger gears in would I be wasting money, Ive read thread were guys say dont put money in 1/2 ton axels, is this true

5. southernspeed

Half ton stuff is fine for 33's and 35's if you treat the throttle with respect. Check those adjustments before you do anything else. I would have thought you could get away with that gear/tire combo but you must just be borderline. Gears aren't cheap so be sure that that is the tire you want. If you're thinking of 35's, gear for them now. I run 35's with 4.10s and it is almost stock like. In hind sight I'd go with 4.56s.
    I have no trouble with shifting up and down.

6. DUK5

DUK5 Registered Member

I work for a auto group and we have several gm dealerships. I have had are axel tranny tech look at it, everythings fine he said I need to get bigger gears, are really replace the axels with 3/4 ton axels. I dont want to do that because I just bought wheels and tires. I can have new gears put in cheaper than peplacing the axels. Can I have my 10 bolts rebuilt and have a strong axel

7. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

I run 33s and 3.73s and really don't have much of a problem. Are you sure you're not stayng in OD but just going in and out of lockup? Thats really my only complaint about my setup and if I put a manual lockup switch or changed the setting somehow it would be much better. I actually think the lockup setting is much too touchy on the stock transmission since the engine is nowhere near bogging when it decides to go out of lockup. Running out of lockup builds more heat so I'd actually like to fix this.

-Wes

8. southernspeed

Very likely his problem. I had this happening to me a while back and it was due to low fluid level. Not very low, but just enough. It looked like the correct level on the dipstick when cold but after a 100 mile run it was showing a bit low on the hot marks. I topped it up and that ended my problems.
    But you're right, the lockup is VERY sensitive.

9. DUK5

DUK5 Registered Member

the trans downs shifts back and forth win in od in drive its fine

10. kp texan

kp texan 1/2 ton status

Well it's a little hard to tell without having a Tach to look at. When it goes in out and out of lockup, the RPMS change almost as if its changing gears but the change in RPMS is not as great. I'm not saying that's what your transmission is doing but it very well could be doing that rather than doing a full 4-3 or 3-4 shift.

-Wes

11. DUK5

DUK5 Registered Member

I can actually fell it downship I have no tach maybe I need to get one.How do you become a supporting member

12. Randy92782

Randy92782 1 ton status

had the same sh*t happen to me on my truck. it eventually lead to burning up my tranny. my advice would do like i did. rebuild it with the nonlockup converter. doesn't cost that much more and i couldn't really tell a difference in gas mileage. but it never did it again so it helped