Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. newblazin86

newblazin86 Registered Member

i just bought a 86 k5 it has 33" by 12.5" on stock 15" wheels it has a 305 v8 the glove box build sheet says ut came with 342 ring and pinnion gears my ques. is should i get lower gears?

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I ran my 85 w/32s, a tired 305, a 700R4 tranny, and 3.73 gears on 15x10 wheels for many years. It did okay, but struggled to stay in OD on the highway with much wind or hill at all. If you are going to be doing much highway driving (OD) and have a 700, I would recommend getting lower gears. It may extend the life of your tranny. If you decide this is your route, be smart and think ahead. Don't go get 3.73s if you plan to upgrade eventually to 35s or bigger. Most of the expense of gears is the installation. For example, a good set of gears with install kits will run you around $225 per gear set. Labor to install the gears will run from $250-350 per axle. Labor will not vary based on gear size. So, I would be sure and think about where you are going with your truck before you decide what gears. I am very pleased with my 4.56s with my 35 BFGs. If I had thought I might ever go bigger, I would have gone with 4.88s.

If you aren't doing much highway driving or are complacent with driving in D on the highway (or don't have a 700), you could probably stick with the 3.42s. But, if you ever go to bigger tires, I would recommend taller gears as well at that time.

Brian
    A new day.... May God be with us all.
    <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Tribute</a>