Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gears

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by joe84bb, Jun 7, 2000.

1. joe84bb

joe84bb Registered Member

Where is the best (cheapest) place to get some gears for '84 ten-bolts. I know everyone is going to tell me to spend my money on a 12 or 14 but frankly- I don't see much off-roading. I don't have the time to. And, I hate to say it but I've been told that I really baby my vehicles. So until my 10 dies on me I can't justify paying for anything else. i've said my piece........ now change my mind.

I know just enough to know that I'll never know enough.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

3. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

I also had excellent service from reider when I bought new gears and a carrier from them for my 14 bolt. I have used richmond gears for all of my axles and have had no problems so far. Just don't buy the cheapest thing you can find. You really get what you pay for as far as gears go. If you are interested, I have a 12 bolt with 4.56 gears and a detroit for sale. All the parts are about 1 1/2 to 2 years old. As long as you don't have a lead foot with that big block then you shouldn't break MUCH stuff.

BIGJ

4. joe84bb

joe84bb Registered Member

I appreciate the offer, but 4.56 is a little steep for a daily driver. I know I can'texpect great mileage with my setup, but every little thing helps. I expect 3.73's will be a happy medium. Am I correct in this assumption? When/if my 10 breaks we'll talk about that 12 you've got.

I know just enough to know that I'll never know enough.