Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. Innerpiece

Innerpiece 1/2 ton status

Hi all -- as always thanks for the previous good advice ...

I'm running 32's with 3.08 gears. Not the best setup for an automatic and a 305 for towing. I recently threw a tach on it and I'm turning about 1600 rpm at 70 in OD. I'd like to take advantage of the Raptor's tow in OD ability (added cooling). So here's the questions.

1. Powerband .. 2200 for a 305?
    2. Gears? suggestions? (10-bolt with gov-lok) brands? dealers?
    3. How much are gears running these days?
    4. I' m fairly competent, patient, and I can read. Is regearing something I can do? Is there a good book, website with instructions/stuff to watch out for?

Any other thoughts welcome. I don't want to go down to stock 31 getto wheels.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

A 305 for towing is probably always gonna suck at least a little. I would aim for a cruise RPM of 2500 for towing. I would still not tow in OD with any 700R4...

If you swapped to 3.42's and kept the 32's your cruise RPM in drive (not OD) at 70 MPH would be 2513 RPM (1760 in OD).
    Off the top of my head I think you could get a gear set for about $200 for each end.
    I would think about an Auburn LS over a gov-lock.

Here's a website that explains all about swapping gears, how it's done, tools needed etc...

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.differentials.com/install.html> Ring and pinion swap info</a>

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

3. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

my 87 had 33's , 3.42, 305, and 700r4. for the most pat it towed fine. i would have rather had 3.73 gears. but sold the truck before i got it. I would not tow in overdrive. not with a 700r4!!. I get all nm gears at randy's ring and pinion. 10 bolt gears are about 170.00 a set. install kits about 100.00 with new bearings. call them. very helpfull.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I ran 3.73s with 32s and a tired 305 and a basic 700 for years. It was a good setup. I also spent time towing a 4,000 lb boat trailer with the setup. Worked as well as you would expect for a 305. Of course, I only towed in D.

If you are careful and don't mind dropping some money for some tools, you can do it yourself. It really isn't that hard, just buy the right tools. I got all my stuff from Randy's (My Jimmy with all her projects!