Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

ok i'm still undecided on what gears to go with..... som one give me the +/- of 4.10 and 4.56 gears.... thanks

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

2. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

what size tires are you running and what do you plan on doing with your rig

79 Jimmy, 5" lift 35 M/T with a 383 puttin out 400hp and 450lb/ft. 4.11s Locked front and back.

3. BAD LUCK 79'

BAD LUCK 79' 1/2 ton status

Re: ...gears

my wish list is for 40' tires..... and mostly it's for muddin and good offroadin... never realy got into rock crawlin...

BAD LUCK is better than no luck at all!!!!
    Is it bad that my truck is older than my wife?

4. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Re: ...gears

It would also depend on your motor. For mud, you need a lot of wheel spin. For 40" tires, I would say go with 4.56s. If you go with a higher gear (4.10), you will need a lot more torque from your engine to turn the big wheels in the muck. The higher gears would give you more overall wheel spin, but if your engine can't get'em to move, it wouldn't do any good.

I have 4.56 with 35" tires and love the setup. I plan to run the same gears when I go up to 38s. I would definitely go 4.56s. If you were rock crawling or something, I would say go as far as 5.13s. But, since you aren't, I would think 4.10 wouldn't be enough gear but 4.56 would set just right.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!