Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I have found a set of axles out of a 1/2 ton 76 chevy, 12 bolt and dana 44 I presume. they are in good working order, new brakes, ect and have 3.73 gears. my 86 blazer has 35" tires and a 350 tranny (no overdrive) is this gear ratio a good "all around" ratio for my truck. right now I have 3.42's. will this make a big enough improvement to justify the $300 cost. I also want the added strength over my 10 bolts. any info will help. thanks

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well the 44 front is arguably not stronger than your current 10 bolt fornt but the 12 bolt rear is an improvement in strength...As far as gear ratio's go... going from a 3.42 to 3.73 gears all around will make a noticeable difference around town but on the highway, you will be winding your 350ci engine up a bit more, therefore sacraficeing some fuel mileage...I would say do it...I have an 87 blazer with 3.73 gears and 35" and the 700r4 tranny and I can barely keep the tranny in OD on the highway unless it perfectly flat or down hill...I plan on going to 4.56 or 4.88 gears as soon a my axle guy comes through [​IMG] w/ my 14bff [​IMG] $300 seems a little steep (you can get a 14bff w/ 3.73 for 200, of not cheaper)but if you can get the $$$ down like $25-50 why not get some new gears [​IMG] and a more stout rear to boot...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

3.73 from 3.42 is not going to yield a big improvement, but it should be noticeable. I went from 3.73 to 4.56. That is a big improvement.

3.73 for 35s without OD is probably fine for general use. When I was running my 35s with 3.73, it was fine as long as I didn't use OD (700). Didn't snap your neck back on the take off, but I was also sporting a tired 305 at the time.

As far as strength, I don't know if the D44 is really any stronger than the 10-bolt. I know the ring gear is larger on the 12-bolt than the 10-bolt, but I don't know about axleshaft size or any of the other factors. I believe a 12-bolt is still a non-floater (c-clip style), so you would still have the issue that if your shaft breaks, your wheel is coming off. If it were me, I would keep looking and try to find a 14BFF rear. Most of those that I have seen were running 4.10 gears (which would be a better jump). And it would be much stronger without the wheel departure issue. But, I don't really know what kind of cost difference i would be for you to go that route versus the D44/12 combo you are looking at.

May want to take that into consideration, though.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!