Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gears??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MR.4x4, Jul 17, 2002.

1. MR.4x4

MR.4x4 Registered Member

Hi, i have a BLAZER 4x4 1975 and im thinking of changing my gears because i have 35x12.50, my gears now are 41/12= 3.41
    Dana 44 (front) & 12 blt (rear)
    I was thinking in the 4.11 wat do you think??

Wat do i need to change my gears??
    only the Ring&Pinion??
    Thanks for your help.. /forums/images/icons/confused.gif

2. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

depends on how you plan on using the truck, and if its your trail rig or dailly driver, also what kind of tranny you have. guys who run mud dont mind mild gears because you need alot of wheel spin and rock guys like deep gears so you use as little throttle as possible to stay in control. if you have a overdrive tranny you can offset deaper gears for dailluy driving,but if you only drive it on trials who cares how fast you can go? also you will prolly get tired of 35s and want to go with bigger meats in the future so then you run into problems like running 40s on 4:10 gears (oops i'm doing that) and have to spend the money to regear AGIAN. hope this might help

3. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

4.56 and 35's work together really well, plus you can get away with38's in the future if you wanted /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

I run 35's and 4.56's. It's very quick off the line, especially with my worn down 35's.

5. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

To do the swap your perposing, (if you already know the terms I'm sorry), You will need new carriers, which the ring gear bolts onto and is your actual differental. An install kit, which includes all the bearings, marking compound, shims and bolts. And a gear set, ring and pinion. To do the full swap in a housing that was 3.73:1 I don't think you would need carriers. The carrier in the front you already have maybe usable for 4.11:1s. I'm not sure.