Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gears?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Marshall, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Marshall

Marshall 1/2 ton status

I have heard that gears are blended with diffrent kinds of metal and withstand diffrent ranges of heat......which company makes really stong gears? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

350/208/3.73Gov-Lock/10Bolt/31"s

2. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

I've installes hundered of sets of gears and have had the fewest problems with Randy's.
    They don't make their own gears, they pick and choose the best gear for that application and that's what they sell.
    The best thing that you can do is a good install. A installer that does alot of them for 4wheelers will understand thet best way to set them up for your type of driving.

3. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I was gona say the same Randy's /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I sure wish I could say Randy's is the place, but right now they are giving me the run around on a bad set of gears. I bought a set of 4.56's for a D60 front and the gears are bad. Once they are set-up you can only rotate the carrier and gears about 100 degrees then they lock up tighter than hell. The runout on the carrier has been checked along with the runout on the backside of the ring gear where it bolts to the carrier and it checks good. There is definately something wrong with the gears and they will not just swap gears with me, they wanted me to send the gears back to them and then wait 8 weeks while they determine that the gears are bad before they send me another set. They told me they would sell me another set of gears (which they did) and then once they have determined that the original set they sold me is bad they will credit my credit card. That is the biggest crock of [censored] I have ever heard of. I could see if I just plain out wanted my money back or something, but all I want is to get my D60 built and under my truck. Looks like it won't happen til next year now. Sorry for the rant, had to get it off my chest. Been bugging me too long now. I only bought the D60 about 6 months ago now and it still isn't built.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I hear ya, it happened to me once with a different product different company, but they basically said, we will send you another one with an invoice, and they promissed they would have the refund within 3-4 weeks before I had to pay my credit card bill, which they did, still I didn't really like the way they handled my business, but I can understand that they have been burned by customers before and they want to protect themselves.
    I was in retail, computers, and I know what customers are like.
    I still hear a lot of good things about them, and this is not a bad thing, but maybe not the most cutomer friendly approach, still good to know thanks for the heads up.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. 4X4HIGH

The way I think they should have handled it goes like this, they should have had me send them back the gears then once they recieved them they should have sent me another set at no cost. Why would I send back a set of gears and have them send me another set of the same brand, same ratio, same application if there was nothing wrong with the first set. I could see thier reasoning if I was asking for something different than what I had originally ordered.

7. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I completely agree and that is exactly what I suggested in my case and I got the same response you got.
    After my experience with them, I decided they are not my first choice but still their response was quick enough and they did reimburse me so if I have no other choice I would do business with them again.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Most mail order places will charge you for the 2nd part and then credit your account once they receive the bad part. You might not need 2 of the same part, but start your own mail order business and see how quickly you have jerkwads calling up asking you to send them a replacement for a bad part, and then never returning the supposedly defective one. There are plenty of folks out there that would gladly rip you off and then sell the 2nd part to a buddy or even on E-bay. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif The mail order places know the scams and have processes in place to protect themselves.

9. 4X4HIGH

I can understand if thats the way they wanted to do it, but like I said in the previous reply, they should have had me send them back the bad gears then once they received them sent me out a new set of gears. This way they only have one set of gears out that are paid for and they aren't making a customer wait 8 weeks until THEY determine that the gears are bad before sending another set of gears.

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah just like we said, Harry's experience is what we would all expect but like you said, they want to make sure that you didn't ruin them from bad installation or that you didn't send them a different brand, and the bureaucracy makesit that they need to wait 8weeks before anyone takes 2 minutes to look at it and then send a replacement.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif