Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

1. psychoseven_0

psychoseven_0 Newbie

i have an 86 blazer with 3.08 gears in it. i am interested in changing them to maybe 4.10 or lower. my question is do you have to change anything in the rearend other than the ring and pinion. i heard if you go too large you have to change the case the gears go in inside the rearend. if anyone can help me that would be great. thanks

2. FWP

FWP CRS

There is a gear split between series 3 and 4 carriers, but Richmond makes a thicker ring gear for the series 3 at 4.10.... 12 bolt or 10? I'll give you the numbers for my 12 bolt, if that's what you have.

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

3. Hank75

Hank75 Registered Member

i am doing the same swap from 3.08 to 4.10, any info would be appreciated. dana 44, 12 bolt. also plan on locker in rear, detroit.
    thanks

4. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

FWP is right on. You need to have gears for the specific carrier your using. Or you can buy gears that are 4 series made for a 3 series carrier, they are thicker. You could also just get a spacer for the 4 series gears in a 3 series carrier, I do not recommend this because, between the carrier and the gears is another thing to break or get loose. once you aquire the proper gears for the carrier you have, installation is the same...........js

5. FWP

FWP CRS

The Richmond number for the 3 series case, 4.10 gear set on a GM 12 bolt is 6903501, Have fun...

<font color=blue>Maverick</font color=blue> <font color=red>CH 4 or 35</font color=red>

6. psychoseven_0

psychoseven_0 Newbie

thanks for trying to help me with my gear question, but i don't know what series carrier i have or how to find out what series i have. is there some way to tell without actually taking the rearend apart? any help is very appreciated!!!

7. BUDDY

BUDDY 1/2 ton status

You've got the 3 series carrier. The split was from 3.73's to 4.10's. This means that any lower, (numerically higher), gear ratio from 4.10 and up has a series 4 carrier. Higher ratios, (lower numerically), have a 3 series carrier. This is what I can remember. I'm almost positive it's right, but I could be wrong. Someone correct me or back me up.

HTH,

Buddy

I've got my dream truck and it's a 72 K-5 that is getting there!!

8. FWP

FWP CRS

I think that's right- series 3 is 3.42 and lower, If it's a 12 bolt, not sure about 10 bolt split.....

9. rock.monkey

rock.monkey 1/2 ton status

same split with the 10 bolt

Bill Innes
    88' Jimmy
    [​IMG]

10. psychoseven_0

psychoseven_0 Newbie

thanks for the help EVERYBODY!!!!