Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gears??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by nickstegeman, Aug 11, 2003.

1. nickstegeman

nickstegeman Registered Member

I just gort the lift on my 85 rig,and I want to upgrade my tires. Problem is, I am afraid to go to big because I have no idea what kind of gears I have. How can I find out? Is it stamped on th axle or anything???? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

If you are lucky, you could still have the factory options sticker on the inside of your glove box door. If memory serves me correctly, that will tell you.

They are not stamped on the axle, but the ring gear (the big one) is stamped with the teeth count on it. For example, 41 11 on the ring gear would indicate 41 teeth on the ring gear and 11 teeth on the pinion equaling a 3.73 gear ratio.

Worst case scenario, count the teeth!

3. nickstegeman

nickstegeman Registered Member

But is there anyway to check without taking the diff. apart??

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

There IS a code stamped on the axle tube somewhere,but in my experience of 10 or more gm trucks,only 2 could I find the code at all,and it was hardly stamped deep enough to read it in both cases.Its a 3 letter code usually,like TAD or something like that.You may as well pull the cover and count the teeth,or it may have the tooth count stamped on the ring gear--it probably needs fresh gearlube and gasket anyway!!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    --it probably needs fresh gearlube and gasket anyway!!. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats EXACTLY what I was going to say! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Hi!
    I just brought home a 87 Suburban, Where can I find the explinations for the codes in the glove compartment?
    [​IMG]

7. bigblock44k5

bigblock44k5 1/2 ton status

All you have to do is jack up one or both of the rear tires depending on if you have a locker, and put the tranny in nuetral. Then turn one of the wheels exactly one full turn around while noting how many times the driveshaft spins around. If it spins a hair over 4 turns, it is probably 4.11's and so on. Not an excact science but it gets the job done without looking for casting numbers on the rear and gears.