Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

geeee-tar gurus, got a question or three

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mofugly13, Aug 4, 2004.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I have picked my gee-tar back up and plan on teaching myself to be a better player, but that is beside the point. Before, my attitude about anything was "It cost me such and such $$$, I ain't messin with it." But after getting my K5 and joining this site, I look for mods that I can make on almost anything I own. So my first question is....

At the bridge of my Fender Jap Strat, there are two adjustments that I can make, one is a screw for each string that will increase tension on it (or is it to change the length of the 'taut" part of the string?), what is this for and why would someone mess with it? There are also two allen screws per string at the bridge that will raise or lower each string from the bridge. Same question, why would one mess with these? Also, what does it mean to wire the pickups "out of phase"?

Well, I guess that was a few questions. Heres another.

When I bought my first electric, a $100 Jackson, I also bought the cheapie Fender $100 practice amp. Well, I am no longer satisfied with the quality of sound that I can get from it. I want to buy an new (or used) amp. What is the best bang for the buck? I'm looking to spend ~$300. I play almost any kind of music that I like from Johnny Cash, to Skynyrd, to the Animals, to you name it, but what I'd really like to concentrate on is blues when I get good enough to pull riffs out of my ass. What do you all reccommend?

2. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

marshall amps hands down. im not sure what you can get one for, but they kick ass.

as for the other stuff, dunno. my dad is the one that plays my electric ("my" christmas gift ended up being his back-up guitar ...go figure /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif), so hes the one that messes with it.

3. camok10

camok10 1/2 ton status

The bridge piece that changes the length of the string is to make sure that the 12th fret is the same note as playing an open note on any string. This is to make sure that all the notes along theh fret board are in tune as well as the open note. If this is off, your "G" string may be in tune for example but the third fret note may be off.

The Allens that raise and lower the strings are to set the height of the strings to make them confertable to play as well as to keep the strings from "buzzing" on the frets below the fret a note is played on. Some of the adjustment on this is technical, but some is preferance as well.

Marshall is good stuff, Line 6 is also quality if you are looking for a modeling amp.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Line 6 is also quality if you are looking for a modeling amp

[/ QUOTE ]

You beat me to it. Line 6 gear KICKS AZZ! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

5. txfireman110

txfireman110 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The Allens that raise and lower the strings are to set the height of the strings to make them confertable to play as well as to keep the strings from "buzzing" on the frets below the fret a note is played on. Some of the adjustment on this is technical, but some is preferance as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said!
    I like to lower as much as possible without "buzzing", it allows more speed between notes (not as hard to make string contact fret), and saves finger tips,(not as hard to make string contact fret)

6. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

OK, thanks fellas. I have checked out line 6 amps, but they are $$$$, I want something cheaper, as, after 10 years of intermittently picking up the gee-tar and letting it collect dust, I'd say I am an "advanced beginner." It just seems that I hit a wall. I can figure tab out no prob and know all the major and minor chords, but I cant just start jammin' and make something really cool come out. I know the scale pattern and how it can be moved anywhere along the fretboard according to key, but I cant put sweet licks together. I figure I am lacking in artistic ability. My mechanical ability is excellent, tho. I have noticed a pattern with folks I know, some are very artistic, a buddy of mine, who has been playing as long as I have, and is one hell of a sketch artist and chef, can jam like a mofo. But give him a set of wrenches and they'll collect dust on the shelf. He'll admit his mechanical ability sucks. While, on the other hand, I can figure out mechanical problems and troubleshoot like a mofo. Go figure. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif I just wanna play the blues. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif