Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

geez my rig sure has come a long ways since 1999

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Chaz88K5, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

tearin down for paint job and prior to lift and bone stock.[​IMG]
    After: all one ton axles(d60/14bolt) with arb in the front and detroit in rear..ORD shackle flip, ord cross over steering, ord steering box brackets...weld on and bolt on...west texas off road hydro steering...coverted from auto to manual...with a 205 (but have a atlas sittin on the shop floor waitin to go in) Drive Line service of fresno/stockton 42deg BAMF rear drive shaft (same one that high angle sells...he actully buys it from them), 37" Goodyear MTR's, 4 inch procomp front springs, doors custom takin off by the tire of my room mates jeep, fenders cut to make clearance for the tires, can back soft top and many other things...and all of it just parked and havent drove it since september....fawkin DMV /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif
    [​IMG]

2. K5Dan

K5Dan 1/2 ton status

now you just need a whistle tip for your exuast /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gifbling bling /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif nice rig! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

WOW! You made me stop and think about how this applied to me. You "done good". I like your rig. Much better looking than mine, but I can't help but document my own journey...even if I'm not posting pics.

November 1998..Christmas break my senior year of high school, I bought a 1979 K10 shortbox with a 350, SM465, NP205, 10bolt front, 12 bolt rear and lots of rust.

I won't bore anyone with the details and the money I wasted not going straight where I am now.

January 24, 2003...I'm in college and the Marine Reserve. Money is still tight (isn't it for all of us?) I'm now sitting on 44" TSLs with 8" Skyjacker front springs and Atron offset degree wedges. I have a D60 front and FF14 rear with Detroit lockers and 5.13 gears that I set up myself. The FF14 has disc brakes and is hung from factory 56" leaves mounted backwards with a 4"block and ORD shackle flip. Power is transferred via a high angle 1350 front and standard 1350 rear driveshaft. I have a winch and crossover steering. I won't even get into all the little details.

Thanks for making me stop and think. I hope there are some others who have come a similarly long way. I also can't believe how much I have learned. Back in the day when I was running 36's with no lift and next to no recovery gear onboard, I remember the struggle of a lifetime swapping out a worn out axle Ujoint as well as the hassle of getting that little spring in the factory locking hub back in the correct way.

4. OL14BLAZ

OL14BLAZ 1/2 ton status

Man your /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifis sweet /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gifReally like the Can-Back it really sucks you can't drive that right now /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gifIt would really piss me off for that awesome rig just sit their. Hope you get to drive it soon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Eric /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

5. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

looks good, too bad you cant drive it. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

6. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

It sure has come a long way /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I remember when I first met you we were both rolling on 10 bolts and you were on 33's /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif The majority of my build-up is almost the same as yours. Here's what mine looked like when I first bought it back in June 2000 for $1000:
    [​IMG]

2 and a half years and a couple $grand later:
    [​IMG]
    It didn't get any prettier but it gained some beef. My sig line came a long way. I just realized that I actually have the K5 that I've been dreaming about back when I bought it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I'm sure you feel the same way.

That sucks about the DMV taking so long /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif If it makes you feel any better I haven't wheeled my crap since I blew up my 10 bolt about a year and a half ago. I was actually able to put it in 4wd for the first time 2 weeks ago when I put the 5.13's in the rear. Don't trip man, you'll be wheelin in no time, can't wait to see that Atlas in action

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

my build up went back ass words just like i did with my el camino...i made it look good before i made it perform...should have went the other way around..but gettin closer...about all i have left to do is bumpers and thats about as good as i can get unless i start doin like steven watson started doin with his...and i really want to get it to that point eventuly...need less body and more tube!! ...i think the first time i met you was at frank raines....that was a interseting day...my first time playin on the rocks and got me hooked...mud is bad juju! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

What year El Camino.Doing long term build on 68 SS.Gathering parts,to do chassie first.3/4 ton frame,14FF rear,465-205,need another D60,build 72-402,then set body on,play with it some.if OK paint it.Had El C since 77.Bout got 88 SWB done.If I quit busting it mabey I'll get to work on 68. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Mud don't hurt,getting stucks what kills stuff.Just have to do more bearing maint. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i had a 69 malibu with a 350 and th350 tranny
    [​IMG]

i ended up sellin it about 6 months after i got out of high school and paid off my blazer ..i kinda miss it...but on the other hand i dont

10. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    need less body and more tube!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    Amen to that! I'm on that same phase too. I got my JD2 fired up over the weekend with the custom Pirate4x4 hydro shiznit! Now I need to get some tube.

Yup, Frank Raines was my first and last time I played on the rocks. I can't wait for this weekend, I get to see all my new expensive mods in action. Too bad you're not making it down.

11. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

So why did the DMV say you can't play in your truck?

12. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

long story...but ill give ya the short one:

At work had a seizure
    got takin to hospital
    hospital told dmv
    DMV gave me the big middle finger and took my license for 6 months

and get this...i wasent even driving at the time...my brother lost his exactly 2 weeks after i did (he is a diabetic) and he had a inslun reaction and crashed a work truck and they yanked his license...guess who got their license back first...yep you guessed it...my freekin brother...now how in the F#$k dose that work..i wasent even driving and lost mine and he crashed a truck and got his back...i dont get it at all /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif enough with the rant