Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

geez, some cops =X

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by TXsizeK5, Feb 1, 2002.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Man, today was the first day after a long time to drive my new car... and uhm man i forogt how much pwr it has... i peeled out crazy on turns... and then one turn i guess i over did it...and off duty cop folowed me adn when i arrived at my friends house he was being a total ASS about it... and i was appologizing and saying sorry ... i mean it wasnt like smoke or anyhting just loud screech. kinda... Jeez i cant tell you how much an ass he was about it. And he was like ohh i see oy have a povisional liscence , that means you just got it, if you wanna keep it stay off the streets...Ive had my liscence for more than a yr-i know thats not long but its longer than JUST GETTING IT... Im sorry i have to vent.. and he was like next time i see you do somehting like that im taking your car away... i was like yeah ok... Thanks for listening...

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat & Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.
    6"Springs, Tranny, & Engine coming soon.

2. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I got pulled over by an idiot cop like that one night cause my locker didn't unlock and chirped a tire all the way around a corner. He said he saw me spin my tires around the corner and wanted to nail me with reckless endangerment and public disturbance. He just couldn't grasp the concept of what a locker was... he was like "my patrol car has posi and it never does that, you were clearly flooring it, I could hear your tires sqealing" I finally explained what a locker is and told him that if I was spinning 36" TSL's he definitely would have known it, everyone in the entire damn county would have known it!! I've got dual flowmasters under there and TSL's make one hell of a racket when they spin too... them damn things are LOUD. I think he finally realized he had no clue what he was talking about and let me go with a warning. What an ass.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja <a target="_blank" href=http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww >www.rit.edu/~bajawww </a>
    Team Mudnuts <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mudnuts.org >www.mudnuts.org </a>

3. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

First of all............I am a cop. I can only speak for myself. I drive a lifted and locked Tahoe. My tires chirp around corners too. There are some a@@hole cops out there who have nothing better to do than to harass, torment, terrorize, etc who ever they want. Having said that...............I am very professional to EVERYONE I pull over.

I would venture to say that most people who refer to me as an a@@hole, talked themselves into a ticket/ arrest. Now it sounds like both of you did not get tickets. Am I right? Now I would guess (without ever meeting you guys) that you tried to explain to the cop what was happening. Maybe he did not listen, but it sounds like you guys were polite and courteous to the cop and when you were done with the cop, you went on your way. Could the cop have given you a ticket?????? Depends on your local laws.

Now I am not saying that everyone who gets a ticket is an a@@hole to the cop, or that all cops are a@@holes. I have gotten a $200.00 speeding ticket, on duty, in uniform and in a marked unit. Was I speeding, Yes. Did I deserve the ticket, Yes. Was I mad, HECK YEAH.

Sorry to get on my soap box here, but I am tired of being viewed as some Nazi Cop who is out there to bother and harass people. When I go to work, I put on a BULLETPROOF VEST and pray that I get to come home at the end of my shift and see my family.................................Think about it.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.moabdadc22.alloffroad.com/>http://www.moabdadc22.alloffroad.com/</a>Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.

4. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

The last time I excercised my right to freedom of speech on the subject of cops, I think I may have offended somebody. This time I think I'll tone it down. Keep in mind that cops are people too, and some people are good and some people are bad. The bad cops don't need a legitimate reason to arrest you they can always lie in court, and whom do you think the judge is going to belive? BTW your story about forgetting how powerful the car is sounds like BS to me and I would tend to side with you because of my experience with corrupt cops. I think you're lucky you didn't get in more serious trouble. Comming from someone that has 20+ years of driving experience(much of it proffesional) having your license a year is nothing. No matter how much you think you know, you still have much to learn. One thing you will learn is that no matter how good you become at driving there is always someone that can't drive worth a s**t and those are the ones you have to watch out for. It's how well you deal with the idiot doing something stupid in your path that truly shows how good you are.

If you knew the truth, you too would be against marijuana prohibition!
    Blue '74 K5 Blazer Topless W/ 35 BFG Muds (See profile for pics)

5. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Ill say it again-

there not a**hole cops- there cops that are doing there job..WHICH Moab- sounds to me that your one of them(that does there job that is)..... if people would stop to think. a cop is not just someone who goes around and looks for people in fast cars, or lifted trucks- a cop is someone who gives themselves to US... for OUR protection.. I am so d*mn tired of reading these posts about people who are pi**ed off at cops... try NOT breaking the law... and then you wont feel that way.

I got pulled over in the 'vette- for running a stop sign. did I --YUP did I see the cop--YUP why did I run it? I dont honestly know, I looked at the stop sign, looked to my left- (3 way intersection).. there was the cop- stopped at his sign.. I hit third gear- and went around the corner-- did I pull over- YUP, before I could see him behind me.. ticket- YUP $374.50 plus 5 points on my license..was he being an a**hole- NOPE, was I-- YUP I'm the one that ran the stop sign. I broke the law-

Stop b*itching about cops- live with it... and remember- if your ever in need of one. who will come- THEM, they can't chose what they do and don't do... if you ever a hostage held at gun point- your going to be thankful that they are there. With that said-

Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

6. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Ya know.. you're right i shouldnt have done it... but ya know? that cop didnt have to cuss and yell at me. I was very polite and appologized and everything. He was offduty i dont know if he coulda given me a ticket. If i clearly ran a stop sign or know that i broke a law i woulda excepted the ticket and i would not consider that cop an a$$hole. BUT if this cop did pull me over and told me nicely... "that wasnt neccesary dont do it again etc". instead of saying "WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT, WAS THAT NECCESARY!? YOU TEENS ARE STUPID ! $#$@%#^ IM GUNNA TAKE AWAY YOUR CAR IF YOU DO IT AGAIN!!" This post wouldnt even be here. And if I really really tried to burn out he probably would have seen smoke. But it was more just playing around which i know to be alot more careful now. And not pull crazy stuff like that anymore. I guess all that yelling and cussing was him trying to get a poiint across... who knows... but iw as just pissed at the time now that i think about it he kinda had a point. But whatever. Thanks for lsitening guys.

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat &amp; Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.
    6"Springs, Tranny, &amp; Engine coming soon.

7. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Ohh and green blazer... i can floor it in the k5 and get to 30 in about 10seconds... i can give it 1/2 throttle in my car and burnout.... i havent driven my car in about 2 months. I am not saying this is a good excuse... but like i said i hadnt driven it in 2 months and i kinda wanted to see what it could do. Thats what i meant by forgetting.

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat & Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.
    6"Springs, Tranny, & Engine coming soon.

8. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

Take this into consideration...
    Here in the Portland area there has beeen a rash of teens being killed, and kiling people doing the fast and retarded thing.
    That cop is prolly just sick of going to an accident and seeing a bunch off teens splattered all over the place and then having to go tell some Mom that her son/daughter is just a pile of burger at the morgue and would ya please identify the remains.
    Sit back crack a Dew and think about that for a bit.

<font color=green> Too bad ignorance isn't painful </font color=green>

9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I agree with Brandy. The cops are only doing their job.

Another thing to think about: would you rather be pulled over by a cop and deal with the "harassing", OR, get chased or pulled over by someone who has a bad case of "road rage" and let them take it out on you? Something to think about here... [​IMG]

I'm done and over with my speeding and reckless driving. I'm 31 now and quit doing all those antics back when I was around the early 20's. I already accumulated too many tickets and warnings.
    Today, the cops don't even bother or waste their time with me anymore. I have a family to watch and care for, and I have better things to spend my money on than speeding tickets. [​IMG]

<font color=red>Only real men drive K30's!!!</font color=red> [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

10. Sparky87k5

Sparky87k5 1/2 ton status

MOABDADC22, My hat is off to the job you do. Without the men and women that are willing to do your job, we would have many more accidents and deaths on our hiways. Thank you for your efforts, sacrifices and willingness to "put it on the line" to protect and serve.

TXsizeK5, grow up a little, realize that not everyone enjoys the same things you do. Many of us have strong desires to drive on our hiways without being scared or intimidated by some punk showing off. Sure it's fun to "peel out", stand on the "loud pedal" or drive fast. Do it where you won't get someone killed or hurt. Visit a long term disability center and talk with the people that are trying to put their lives back together from hiway accidents. One year's driving experience is about equal to "2nd grade level" in the "driving school of life". Hope you grow up and learn fast so you can "graduate".
    I am glad you can vent your feelings though on this forum. You give me hope that you have what it takes to make it. Goodluck and happy motoring.

87 K5, 427/340hp BBC,4.56 D60 & 14BFF, NV4500, NP208, TSM rear disc's,

11. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

Having been a State Trooper for almost a decade, I think most police officers give young people a lot of slack. I try and educate first before I take enforcement. It is true a bad officer can ruin the rep of a lot of great ones. I would much rather you be mad at me for stopping you from improper actions than knock on a door and tell your loved ones your not coming home. It never gets easy to do that.

Enough for me. Just my 3 cents.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com>www.mooffroadoutfitters.rockcrawler.com</a>

12. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

I have a question for the cops on here. Can a cop give you ticket without pulling you over? This recently happened to me. I got off the highway and got pulled over right as I got off basically on the service road for 57 i na 40. I accepted the ticket, I deserved it, and was nice and everything. A few days later I got what I thought was a copy of that ticket it the mail, only for 54 in a 40. Didn't do anything about it, just paid the first one. Got another copy of the 54 in a 40, and called the court. Turns out one ticket was at 1:27 pm, and the other at 1:32 pm. The cop supposedly saw me speeding again, in the exact same location as he did before and just wrote the ticket and mailed it to me. This is the kind of BS that really pisses me off about cops. I'm not saying I'm pissed at every cop, just at this jackass. I sure as hell did not turn around and fly through the same speed trap I just got a ticket in.....anyway, sorry for the rant

90K5

13. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Now I am not saying that everyone who gets a ticket is an a@@hole to the cop, or that all cops are a@@holes. I have gotten a $200.00 speeding ticket, on duty, in uniform and in a marked unit. Was I speeding, Yes. Did I deserve the ticket, Yes. Was I mad, HECK YEAH.

<hr></blockquote>

Care to elaborate? That's one I've never heard, but would be interested in the circumstances such as was it from another dept. that was at war with yours or something along that line?

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Official Colorado K5.com Fantasy Football Choke Artist!<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

14. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The first time I got pulled over, I had just gotten my license and was speeding and the cop that stopped me just got done working an accident down the road. He tore into me hard and gave me the citation. Every other time I've been yanked, the cop was cool about it, except for the one in Hayward that had his whole shift sitting behind me ready to lay down a little suppresive fire, but that's another post.

Bubba Ray Boudreaux,
    Official Colorado K5.com Fantasy Football Choke Artist!<a target="_blank" href=http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1>http://community.webshots.com/user/mdntrdr1</a>

15. 79k20

79k20 1/2 ton status

<font color=orange>Some cops are a$$ holes but most aren't. The only time I got pulled over the cop started asking questions about my truck and telling me about his phord. He turned out to be a pretty cool guy.</font color=orange>

<font color=orange>SEAN<font color=orange>

[​IMG]<font color=orange>79 K20(duh) D44, FF 14bolt, built 350,TH350,NP203,9"lift</font color=orange>[​IMG]

16. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I've been driving for 4 years.
    I got pulled over a couple weeks ago for putting on a smokeshow exhibition in my '67 camaro at the muscle car hangout. There were 30 cars and 100 people, and I had the only Big Block there... didn't see any cops...just had to show em what a BBC can do... Bad idea. [​IMG]
    Should've known the cops were on the next street over! They were just waiting for some dumbass (me) to do something stupid.
    As I left the place, A cop car jumped the curb and pulled me over and there was still smoke in the car. First thing the cop says:
    "Get over here!"
    "What the f%*k do you think you're doing?!".............
    "And if I ever see this car doing stupid $h!t again, I'm gonna write you up for everything i can. I could probally find a dozen things wrong with your car."
    HE asked me if I was going out to race those other guys and I told him no, I was on my way home and I don't race my car.

I was honest and polite to the officer and he was very cool... Yelled at me and lectured me a bit, but let me off with a warning. That was a big wake up call...
    I drive so damn responsibly 98% of the time. It's that other 2% that gets me in trouble.[​IMG]
    Really the only place that it is safe to "get on it" is off road and at the dragstrip. Just be smart about it. Especially if your exhaust can be heard from 4 blocks away.

[Real Men Don't Care About Gas Mileage Or Rapid Tire Wear!]
    1972 K/5
    Ryan B.

17. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I'm not complaining about all cops. I have the utmost respect for police officers. You guys have one of the worst jobs on the planet and don't get nearly enough pay or respect for it. Nothing pisses me off more than to see baseball players going on strike because the $20 million they make every year for doing NOTHING isn't enough. That money should go to the emergency workers that give thier lives for the rest of us. I was just saying that I was pissed how that one officer had a bad attitude from the moment he walked up to my window. I'm very polite when I get pulled over. I explained the situation several times to him and he still gave me crap. I never lost my temper or said anything sarcastic. I think he finally just realized that he was wrong, or decided that he'd scared me enough, and left me with a warning. Other than this one time I mentioned, I've been pulled over 5 times, 4 for speeding and once for driving like a complete idiot teenager (cause I was a complete idiot teenager). I've only gotten 2 seatbelt tickets and an "inoperative speedometer" ticket from those officers and I'm very grateful for it. I'm a college student, I pay my own insurance, and don't get any tuition help from my parents so I'm VERY grateful that I didn't get any points with those tickets. I'll admit that I was speeding every time I was pulled over and could have gotten some pretty steep tickets but the officers were very polite and understanding as 4 of the 5 times I honestly didn't realize I was speeding. Twice I was just completely dead tired after spending 16 hours in a machine shop at school and couldn't think of anything but my pillow at home, and the other 2 times were from tire or gear changes and not knowing how far my speedo was off yet. That one time when I was a teenager I really should have been arrested cause I ran an oncoming sheriff off the road while trying to pass another car at night. That was one of the stupidest things I've ever done in a car and regret it... I REALLY regretted it for 45 minutes while he yelled at me in front of my friends after catching me. I think I had a heart attack when I saw the decals on his car as it slid into the ditch. I was completely amazed when he let me go without a ticket, he must have known how scared I was.

So anyway, I just wanted to say that I don't have a negative opinion of cops. There have been a few times when I've needed them and they were there in no time. I've even helped a couple out myself. Last winter we got a huge snow storm and on my way to school there was an officer stuck in a ditch waiting for a tow truck. Even though it made me late for class I pulled him out and he was really thankful cause he'd been there for 45 minutes!

Oh, don't take this the wrong way but you getting a ticket from another cop reminded me... One of the funniest things I ever saw was a local sheriff getting ticketed by a state trooper for doing 90 in a 55 with no lights or sirens. Later I heard from my neighbor who's a cop that the guy was late for dinner and his wife was pissed.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts www.mudnuts.org

18. BigTex

BigTex 1/2 ton status

Yeah, I totally agree with Brandy...

<font color=red>"DON'T TAKE LIFE TOO SERIOUSLY, YOU WON'T GET OUT ALIVE."</font color=red>

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/BigTex-Mean-Machine</a>

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

MOABDAD, (and others...)

From my own personal experience (and thankfully I don't have many of these to refer to!) the police tend to respond in a manner that is consistent with the way you FIRST treat them.

From the statistics I've seen, the "routine traffic stop" has injured or killed more officers than any other type of situation. It's understandable that NOBODY is thrilled about being in that situation. So I do a few things when I'm pulled over to insure that we are BOTH comfortable and feeling safe:

1. Turn on the dome lights inside the car if it's nighttime. Especially if you have tinted windows. Nobody wants to walk up to a DARK vehicle.

2. Get the windows rolled down BEFORE the officer arrives at your car. That way you're not reaching all over the car into areas that they may not be able to see.....to get those windows down.

3. Get both hands on top of the wheel and keep them there! It's a lot better to see your hands in plain sight.

4. When asked to provide documents and license, be sure to indicate where they are and that you'll need to reach in the glovebox (or wherever) for them. Give the officer time to get a flashlight shining on the area, or to at least prepare themselves for the fact that you are about to reach somewhere potentially 'out-of-sight'.

5. Take your "lumps" if you deserve them....and don't argue! I've never met an officer who likes to be told he/she is WRONG. If you were speeding and you know you're "dead to rights"....just take the damn ticket. The person you should be mad at is yourself anyway. If you think you have a case, take it to court and fight it......if the ticket's been written, you won't gain anything by fighting about it on the side of the road.

I don't know how much of this list actually helps, or if it's all "imagined" but my experiences have all been very calm, and generally I get off with a "reduced" speed, or possibly even a warning. I got my first speeding ticket in about 5 years, less than a week ago....it sucks, but I deserved it. And when the cop finished issuing the ticket, he thanked me for my courtesy and for the respectful way I treated him.

In a weird way, that felt kinda good. [​IMG]

ps. He wrote the ticket for 80 in a 65......quite a bit less than I was "actually" doing.

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

20. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Wes, is right, I am now 37 and rarely speed anymore, actually kind of slowed down a long time ago, when I got 13 tickets in a month and half before I joined the Army, I am the only guy I know of that had to go all up my recruiter's chain of command to brigade level to join the Army, had 7 warrants for failure to appear, had to borrow money to pay all the fines before I could join, and lastly sold the truck, since I figured it was too well known!!
    If I remeber correctly, the cops were all polite to me and I to them, they were just doing their "THANKLESS" job, the chief even came and signed to release me out of jail after I had been there a couple of days
    now that I am older, I realize these guys are giving of themselves for us, so to all the cops here I say "THANK YOU"

Fort Worth Texas K5er[​IMG]It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission[​IMG]