Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gen 6 BBC - oil cooler bypass valve confusion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by realsquash, Apr 30, 2007.

1. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I've swapped a Vortec 454 into my 76 GMC and I'm ready to start it up tonight after work. I have read that if you aren't using the factory oil cooler (which this engine had installed, I removed and am not using) you need to remove one of the bypass valves, which look to be located above the filter mount pad (have to remove the filter to see them). One is in the center of the spin-on filter threads and the other is located outside of that. I'm still not clear about which one needs to be removed (or does it need to be at all?). All the sites I find are boat stuff and they are talking about 502's and other GM Performance Parts crate engines, not an engine that was actually in a truck, with a factory engine oil cooler. Help!!! :confused:

Andy

2. 425 Xpedition

425 Xpedition 1/2 ton status

My book on rebuilding GenV/IV BBC dosen't say anything about removing either valve. It only mentions plugging the two holes for the oil cooler. These two holes appear to be right in front of the filter base. Hope that helps.