Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gen differences in the 454

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big_truxx, Jan 9, 2005.

1. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i never really was told what the differences are in the different gen 454. what are the years for the different gens? other differences?

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

gen info

gen 1 was 65-90 gen 2 was 91-present and gen3 96-up
    the gen2 and gen 3 are vary close but 3 fixed lots of the short comings of the 2 seires. best to buy a book and read up lots of info in them got both of mine at b.n for less than 20.00 :cool1:

3. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

very cool! thanks :waytogo: people were talking about gen 4,5&6 on another post and i realized i didnt know what they were really talking about. i know more now though. so what would a gen 4,5 or 6 be?

4. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

sorry for the mixup

gen 4 is the first series, gen5 is the secend series, and gen6 is the 3rd series.:D

5. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:rotfl: :rotfl: it now suddenly makes sense. :whistle: thanks. i now know whats going on AND have been able to laugh at myself today :grin:

6. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Gen 5 changed to a one piece rear main seal, water passages changed some in the deck, gen 5 heads had non adjustable valvetrain, and the lip the timing cover seals to the pan moved to the back side like a small block. Also blind head bolt holes

Gen 6 had the gen 5 changes above, plus changed to a roller cam with taller lifter bosses, a 6 bolt timing cover, the fuel pump boss dissapeared, the in-block oil passages were moved from the pan rail to along the cam, they also have a completly different oil filter pad and bypass.

edit: The oiling system difference (priority main oiling), and the fuel pump boss actually changed on the gen 5

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  7. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I did not know this! Does this mean they came with rocker shafts, as oppossed to rocker arms riding on a rocker arm stud?

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

oh i see. that all is interesting info. i have a gen 4 currently and most likely will stick to them. i like the older stuff :waytogo:

9. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

No they are still mouted similar, but I believe they have a shouldered bolt, vice a stud... They do make a kit to retrofit studs on them but the threads are smaller. Don't know, but assume they could be drilled and tapped for an earlier style stud..

I built a 540 out of a gen 6 502 block, I have never personally worked on a gen 5 or 6 head though as I used a set of darts. I'm sure there are differences I don't know, these are just the ones I found. If I was to do the big motor over again I would use a merlin block

10. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The last Big Block I built was back in the 80's when the Gen IV's where still the latest model of Big Block. I would never want an engine that did not have adjustable valves; just like I do not want my Small Blocks to have the pressed in type studs. I always modifeid my Small Block heads for screw in type rocker studs.