Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gen I or Gen II

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Michk5, Sep 25, 2005.

1. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Misawa Japan until December...moving to Wichita Ka
    I'm embarrassed to post this but it's a must...

I'm working the deal out on this doubler right now and it's supposed to be a GEN II, but it looks the same as some of the doublers I've seen posted as GEN I's...

I must be missing something right??

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  2. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

That looks like a Gen I to me....

IIRC the Gen I is a welded steel unit (which that picture looks like) and the Gen II is the all-aluminum CNC machined "sexy-as-hell" one.

3. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

#1 Unit Style

4. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Thanks Greg

Anyone else?? PLEASE :confused:

Matt

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Don't forget when it comes to the steel welded ones, that ORD isn't the only company/person making those.....I'd be insisting that I see a receipt before I shell out any money.

A welded steel unit would definitely warp during the welding process. I think ORD actually went to the trouble of "surfacing" them after welding to insure that the mounting surfaces were still perfectly flat. Otherwise, you might be fighting leaks forever.....

Something else to keep in mind.

6. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

That looks like the old style steel version Gen. II Doubler.

The Gen. I series used stock adaptors between the 203 and 205. Gen. II, both steel and aluminum versions eliminated the stock adaptor between the 203 and 205.

The Gen. II steel adaptor was taken over by the current aluminum adaptor which is much stronger than the welded up steel adaptor.

Another thing that "phased out" the Gen. I's were the fact they used stock adaptors between the 203 and 205 was that they added different lengths to the overall length of the assembly. This was either a negative or positive depending on each person and their intended uses. Some Gen. I's would sit the 205 way back further than a stock Gen. II setup. This would make the rear d-shaft shorter and in result, more severe d-shaft angles with more lift.
    Another reason was the fact that there were something like 3 different output shafts made for the Gen. I to fit whatever tranny you had. Reports were breakage of the lower splined units, such as the 27 and 10 spline outputs. 32 spline was the strongest and therefore employed as the only replacement you could get, hence the need for the newly designed adaptor to fit between the 203 and 205.

I still wish ORD would make the Gen. I setup as I could use the extra length of the whole shebang for a longwheel base truck. This would allow better front shaft angles.

7. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

Damn--Damn--Damn!! I should of "REALLY" did my homework before I started this. Well on the other hand, my buddy isn't supposed to pick it up for me until this upcoming weekend so no money has changed hands yet :D . However, I'm dead set on having a doubler now and currently looking at North West Fabs. It's a little cheaper than ORD's and I like the design but ORD's GEN II's are proven. Does anyone have any experience with NWF's Doubler??

Thanks a bunch Greg and Sweetk30

Matt

8. Michk5

Michk5 1/2 ton status

So I guess the doubler "dallassmith" has is actually the early GEN II also...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 25, 2005
  9. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Yep, thats a Gen. II steel version adaptor.