Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

GEN III into 87 blazer

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by blazin383, Jul 26, 2006.

1. blazin383

blazin383 Newbie

Currently have 87 K-5 40 inch boggers dana 60 front with all goodys, 14 bolt rear all goodys. Question is this i have a 8.1 liter vortec(complete) and was wondering if anyone has done this swap and what is involved with stuffing this behemouth into the blazer. I no my way around tools and have access to machine shop(i work at one).

2. misterfnygy

misterfnygy 1/2 ton status

check out ls1tech.com- they have a forum devoted to gen iii swaps. It can be done, though it really isn't cheap. But then again you already have the most expensive part!

3. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

4. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Actually, Ryan's tow rig has the LS1 in it but Kevin's (Ryans buddy) they put the 8.1 into his tow rig.

5. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yo. check out the website in my sig line, we specialize in GenIII efi swaps.
    We dropped an '04 8.1 in my buddy kevins tow rig, and i have an '04 6.0L in both my K5 and my tow rig. Both tow rigs i reworked the harness and kept the drive by wire setup, the K5 i converted it to a Mechanical Throttle Cable setup. The 8.1 is a torque monster.. The 6.0L in my K5 just screams all the way up to 6200 with custom long tube headers and a few other bolt on mods. :bow: :saweet: :D
    All these engines have required some notching to the frame mostly in the exhaust manifold location, and both 6.0's required a little firewall cutting/bashing. The oil pan hangs an inch or two lower than a SBC or BBC on my 6.0's. The A/C compressor doesn't look like it'll clear in the stock location on any of these trucks. Its not an easy swap but the rewards are definately there. :wink1: :thumb:

6. blazin383

blazin383 Newbie

This is something im really looking into doing mainly because im bored with current configuration. Raylar engines makes some big power with these motors even with stock short block. I will probably be asking a lot more questions about this as it gets closer to go time.