Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gen2 Doubler...when???

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Grim-Reaper, Dec 12, 2000.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Stephen I had talked to you for a good while when I ordered my Brace in Spetemeber. You were telling me you were trying to get a second Gen doubler going that was not so dependent on the TH350 Version 205. That is one hard to find case down here in the South East. I can lay my hands on 3 465 205's and 2 TH400's for under $200 within 10 miles of me. Have you been able to sort it out to work with those models yet without the extra lenght of the old kit?
    Love to hear how thats comming and some projected cost.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

We are in production on the GEN2 Doubler. At this point we can only use the TH400 version 205, so you have to have a 400 version 'case, or convert one to the 32 spline female input gear. We have the parts to do the conversion if you can't find a 400 version 205. The 400 version is relatively rare, so don't feel bad if you can't find one.
    Then GEN2 is the same length as the 203 at 22.5 from the back of the trans. It's only 6" longer than the 205 alone! This fits in the shorter trucks very nicely. It's also a 1 piece adapter and is welded steel in current versions so breaking the adapter probably won't happen.
    We're working on a version to use the 27 spline 205 input gear that should be ready in march or april sometime, and may do a 10 spline version sometime after that. We're trying to stay away from the 10 spline just because of the wear problems with them. But we'll see how it works
    We can also rotate the 205 however you want it. There is a custom charge, but not much. That lets you roll the 205 up to get more center clearance. For most rigs the breakover is ok and the drive shaft angularity is more important, but we can do it. We can also mix and match Ford and GM 203's and 205's. So if you wanted to run a Ford reverse cut front end, we could put a Ford 205 in your K5 to get the driveshaft on the correct (for a Ford anyway) side.
    That's the spiel on the new GEN2 Doubler, whew!

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD

3. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Stephen are you using the a 78-79 TH400 with the figure 8 style bolt pattern? Have you tried to just install the input gear into a Th350 or 465 style 205? Let use know please.

Donovan

4. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

My doubler has the 205 with the 32 female input spline. Stephen and James had the 205 case machined out for the bigger input bearing. I then reused the rest of the gears with the new input gear. My 205 was the one that came in my 72 new. The OEM trany was the 465 with the 1 spline input gear. (now in my trash bin) I did replace the shift ring that was on that gear set.

I understand the jeep thing I drive a BLAZER!!

Ken

5. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

6. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

Ok, the GEN2 requires a 32 spline female input gear. You have to use the "short" version input gear. We've found 2 32 spline female input gears, one sticks out of the case about 1 1/4", the other sticks out of the case about 3 1/2". For the GEN2 you have to have the short stickout. Luckily, the short gear is the most common, the long one appeared mostly in later 205's (86ish and up) with the round bolt pattern.
    As for the case pattern, we can do either the round pattern, or the Fig 8 pattern, no problems either way. Or you can put a Ford 205 on it, or even an Atlas.
    Now, if you don't have a 32 spline input gear.....2 options, one is to modify your case to the 32 spl., the other is to wait. More on waiting later. (get it, wait on waiting...ok, back to work) There are 2 basic cases available in the NP205, (we're not going to talk about the round pattern here since they were all "big input") One has the "small input" the other is the "big input". This refers to the size of the input gear bearing itself. The 27 and 10 spline (TH350 and SM465 versions) use the "small input", the TH400 uses the "big input". The difference in the hole in the case is over .300". To modify a case with the "small input" you just cut (mill usually) the hole to the bigger size. Then you can install the 32 spline input gear and you're ready to go for the GEN2 Doubler. We also have a 205 case exchange going on here where we send you an empty 205 case with the input hole already bored out, and you send us your empty 205 case back as a core. The cost for the service is $100, and the core charge is $200.
    Now, on waiting. We're working on a new system to use the 27 spline male input on the TH350 version 205 with the GEN2 Doubler. Unfortunately, it's not going to happen till approx. April. The 27 spline gear fits in the "small input" 205 case, so you'll either already have the right gear, or be able to install it in place of the 10 spline.
    Now, on the 10 spline, in factory applications, the 10 spline connection tends to wear out somewhere around 80-100K miles, depending on usage. The drivesleeve (female splined coupler) is soft enough that it wears out and creates a good deal of backlash in the system. If it wears enough to strip out, you stand a chance of ruining one or both of the shafts. We're researching what it would take to build a system that won't wear out. A big factor we're keeping in mind is that most of the trucks with Doublers in them are or become vehicles that don't see many miles. The miles they do get are pretty rough, but overall, the numbers aren't really high. So, some wear may be acceptable.
    For max durability, the 32 spline is the way to go. It's fine enough that wear isn't an issue and strong enough that you'll rip outputs out of the 205 before you break an input. In the real world, you'll either spin the tires, or break a ujoint, axleshaft, or other driveline part.
    I think this answers the questions, whew!

[​IMG]
    SW-ORD