Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

general 16.5" wheel question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Puckett, May 18, 2006.

1. Puckett

Puckett Registered Member

I bought 16.5 wagon wheels from summit, the US Wheel brand, and the goodyear mil-oz tires didn't seat like a "normal" tire should. Usually when I mount tires on 15s or 16s, the bead will seat with a "pop" and I know they are seated. The tires are bais ply an rated to 30 psi - and I know I put more than 40 in when I did the first air up. I bought these to run my used bias HMMVV tires for memorial day weekend, then I might clean up my H1 wheels and switch to a dually front hub to run them.

When I aired up these tires, there was no pop, of course there is no safety bead on a 16.5" either, at least not these. The rim looks like it cold be sticking out a bit too far from the bead of the tire compared to my 15s, but there is no air leaks, and there is no more expansion of the bead. It's pressed all the way against the lip of the rim.

Is this the ****tyness of 16.5 tires? That the tire wont hard seat to the rim, and basicly only the air pressure is keeping the tire seated against the rim? I never done 16.5"s before, so I just don't know their characteristics.

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yep, you found the lack of a safetybead crap factor of standard 16.5s.

I don't know for a fact, but I'd bet a good bit that the Goodyear tires have a thick sidewall(well I know they have a thick sidewall) that sticks passed the rim to protect the bead seat.

3. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

That is the same way my OZ is on my rims too.

4. Puckett

Puckett Registered Member

Thanks for the quick answers guys - I figured it was just the way it is. The sidewall does bulge out quite a bit, but there is nothing specific around the rim like a rim protector, as on the BFG All-terrains on my daily driver.

I should have freakin bought the bead sealer "adhesive" type ****. Looks like I'll be keeping at least 30 psi in these over memorial day weekend. My CUCV is freakin heavy, and I'm keepin one of my OZ's on a H1 wheel for a spare. They clear in the rear, just not on the front.

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

recenter the h1s and run those man. I have H1s for my rig. Double beadlocks, best 16.5" rims around I say ;)