Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

General Cooling tech q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by SchnorrCS, Oct 23, 2006.

1. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

Hey guys...

Ok here's the word. 74 K5, 350/350. Just moved from Cali to Colorado, and it's cold out right now! My truck won't warm up!? I'll let it idle for awhile, get in and start driving. The temp gauge works, but usually it runs right around the first tick mark. Now it's like a quarter of the way there. What gives?
    Don't know if it matters or not, but I don't run a fan shroud....

2. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Have you got a 'stat in there? I doubt you really needed one in Kalifornia but you will in colder climes! Pull the stat housing and make sure there is one there and that it is closed when cold.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

T-Stat stuck open perhaps?
    The fan shroud is going to help cool more efficiently during hot temperatures, as it will pull more air through the radiator.

4. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

Besides the t-stat, if you have a fan clutch / electric fan make sure it's releasing / cutting off and not driving the fan all the time.

5. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Is the heater working alright? On my temp gauge that is normal for my truck mabey just above the first tick, it gets to halfway and I start to think its over heating. If the heater isn't working well put a 195 degree thermostat in it. If the heater is working well don't worry about it.

6. SchnorrCS

SchnorrCS 1/2 ton status

That's kinda what I came up with. Tstat stuck open. It has one of the failsafes (sworn to stick open if it sticks) and is 180 if I remember correctly.
    I went and got a 195 (stock) today and will put it in tomorrow. Fan works, it's a direct drive. Putting a clutch on it or going elec would probably help though. If this doesn't cure it (Fluching rad and replacing tstat) I'll go the high tech route and throw some cardboard in front of the rad.

Thanks guys.:bow: