Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

General Grabber/ Super Swamper TSL Pros/Cons??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ED70K5, Jan 18, 2001.

1. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

Anybody running these tires??? I'm looking at buying some 33x12.50 15 General Grabber M/T. Pros/Cons??? What about 33 x 12.50 15 Super Swamper TSL?? I really wanted to run a radial and $105.00 bucks is not bad for the General Grabber. Again the Super Swamper TSL for 123.00 bucks is also not bad for a tire that aggressive! Need help in deciding!!

Blazin' in TEXAS!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I've had the General Grabber MT's on my Jimmy for the last 3 years. I have about 35,000 miles on them and if it wasn't for a screwed up ball joint they would all have 30% or so left on them. As it is 1 tire is done and the other 3 have about a year left on them.
    Pros: Low intial cost.
    Dig hard in the mud and self clean real good.
    Pretty good pavement manners
    They run pretty quiet for a MT
    Cons: They're not Swampers [​IMG]
    General seems a little optimistic with their sizing. My 35's measured a little less than 34" when new and now measure just barely over 33".

All in all I've been pretty happy with them. I'm picking up a set of 36x12.5 TSL's tomorrow so I guess I'll get to compare even more[​IMG] I would consider Generals again but 35" is the largest size they make.

Hope that helps.

Rene

[​IMG]

3. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>It all depends on what you want to do with your truck. If it's your weekly comuter, go with the Generals. The Swampers arent known for tread mileage, and the Generals will be much nicer on the street. If your truck is a weekend trail toy, go with the TSLs. I have 36x12.5x15 TSL Radials and I like them a lot. I havent been on the rocks yet so I can't acount for sidewall strength, but they rock in the mud! [​IMG] Look at my signature picture. The second hole (the one I'm about to hit) was well over the top of my tires, and I passed right through all 4 times! These are the tires to beat on the trail, but if my truck was daily I would have chosen a milder MT like the Generals.</font color=blue>

[​IMG]

4. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I've had the Generals on mine for about 38, 000 miles and if it weren't for one bad shock i'd probably get 42-44,000 out of them , but ones wearing thin, they've ridden pretty well, take ruts a little, not as noisy as some MTs, and do perform pretty well in the dirt. And like you said, you can't beat the price, My 35's were $125 apiece.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

5. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

It's already been mentioned, but you are really talking about two completely different tires. The Swampers are great off-road but are much noisier, won't wear nearly as long, and don't ride and handle as good as most radial tires. If this is your daily driver I would have to recommend the Generals, if you are more concerned about off-road performance than get the Swampers.

6. ED70K5

ED70K5 1/2 ton status

I have decide to go with the 33 x 12.50 15 TSL . My truck is my weekend toy and not my daily driver, so they should work out just fine! I have never run these tires, so I'm very excited about trying them out!! Will post some pics as soon as I install my kit.

Blazin' in TEXAS!

7. When I bought my 33" tsl's new they were actualy 34 1/2" tall,my buddies 35" bfg's mt's were 34 3/4".