Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

General lift ?'s which/how too -6" lift, front and rear springs 52" - 56"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jjlaughner, Nov 12, 2002.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

General lift ?\'s which/how too -6\" lift, front and rear springs 52\" - 56\"

I'm looking at the tuff country web site and they have 52" and 56" rear springs. Would making way (relocating the mount) for a 56" spring gain me anything? Like departure angle?
    What about using the ORD shackle flip and a 2" lift spring, zero rates?
    Any reactions to the Springer setup in mud/sand/snow (like doing dounuts)? I'm a little worried about a spring shifting coming off the stopper?

Tuff Country (e-z rides) vs. Rancho (Soft rides?)

If money wasn't an issue and without the trouble of coilovers like the MO-offroad vehicle (WOW), what would you use?

My vehicle - 1987 Chevy Blazer, 350TBI, 700R4, 208, will be using either a D44 or D60 in the front and a 14bolt rear/disk brakes (not decided on gearing yet, thinking 4.56?), planning on angled rear shock brackets, extented shock mounts front, trimming up the fenders, cutting out the rockers for rock sliders. I want to use the vehicle for all around use on-road, trails, water, mud, sand, rocks, maybe a future trip to the moon /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif J/K /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

What do you think, what do you like, what do you want to try?
    I would like to get a good score on the ramps also! Anyone have a score for there setups?

Jeremiah

2. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Re: General lift ?\'s which/how too -6\" lift, front and rear springs 52\" - 56\"

No scores, but there is a gernal recipe for sucess. damn it is hard to speel at 4:30am /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Genrally you want a soft front 6" spring (duh) run the F-150 shock towers. generally, you can run the infamous Rancho 9012 shocks up front with this set up and shocks will not be the limiting factor. (authors note: i have not listened to any of my advice, but i should!)

In the rear there are more complex decisions to be made. You can runthe ECHOBIT shackle flip, the ORD shackle flip, the Springer Suspension which uses a swing arm and 57" F-150 springs and Jeep shackles.

The ECHOBIT, IIRC, is bolt on and uses F-150 springs and can be used to achieve 6" of lift.

The ORD requires the dropping of the gas tank, cutting off the old hanger and installing theirs. It is availible for second gen. K5's in a 2.5" an 4" variety. So if you want a little stiffer spring, you can go 2.5" flip with a 4" spring or for plenty of flex a 4" flip and 2" spring.

The Springer Suspension utilizes a drop arm and shackle which can have up to 24-28" wheel travel. It also uses F-150 springs and is a very straight forward bolt on. Generally, if running big tires, you will need to at least clearence your wheel tubs a bit. I am planning on tubbing mine. If i can install this kit, ANYONE can do it!:D

Once you get into the shock mounting in the rear, you might as well join the United Nations, because no one agrees /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Various suggestions i have heard since posting on ideal shock mounting ideas: inboard, outside fram rails, raked forward, racked back, staggered, vertical through bed, raked forward through the bed, racked back using F-150 shock towers, racked forward using F-150 shock towers, mount them on the spring plate, mount them on the space between the backing plate and the spring, etc, etc, etc.
    So pic one and lemme know how it goes /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Add the longest brake like you can find and you are done /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jjlaughner

Re: General lift ?\'s which/how too -6\" lift, front and rear springs 52\" - 56\"

Where was a post for some gabrial shocks
    [​IMG]
    So I bought a set to check them out. I was thinking of using these in the front and rear (front with the the F150 mounts of course and in the rear with the center angled bracket). I just got an email from Marv and one of the questions was the rear shock setup and he said with his spring setup center is not ideal. I am wanting to run the 6" setup from him so I may have to find another way. Thats kind of why I posted this question to see if anyone has opinions on a rear setup (moving the rear mount and using a 56" 6" lift spring - I'm think departure angle will be better if I get to that point of gutzy driving).
    I have an everyday/highway truck running 650 miles a week
    [​IMG] Project ~~Wasn't Me BLAZIN~~
    So I'm thinking I want to go all out on my new project truck
    [​IMG] Project Rusty Bucket
    But still have it streetable (to get me to where I'm going to wheel). It will keep the EFI350, 700R4, 208 setup anything after that is doable as long as I have someway to keep the snow out in the winter and I'm selling the plow to pay for my lift /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    SO far I've rounded up a 14bolt and disk brakes, I'm thinking D44 in the front, 4.56 gears, Maybe lockers (kinda pricy, maybe a future project), fenders are getting trimmed and the rockers are gone so its getting the 3x3 tube rock sliders.
    Now I just have to get the garage cleaned out to work on it!
    SO, if you see a couple posts from me on opposing topics its most likey because I'm talking about different trucks /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif No confermation on split personalities yet /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Thanks for the post, Jeremiah
    TTT

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Re: General lift ?\'s which/how too -6\" lift, front and rear springs 52\" -

My plans are to use Springer Suspension in the rear (6" lift) I already have Superlift Soft-ride springs up front. The Springer Suspension uses F-150 springs, very flexy. Everyone I've talked to about it (quite a few people) all say it is awsum. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif It's a bolt on kit except for the track bar. Very minor welding. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. jjlaughner

Re: General lift ?\'s which/how too -6\" lift, front and rear springs 52\" -

good deal, sounds like where I'm headed. Let me know if you like your setup once you get it on done, I'm still rounding up parts for my swap in the spring (it might take me that long to get the garage cleaned out enough to work in)!
    Later
    J