Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

generations of K-5s

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MEPR, Nov 20, 2002.

1. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

what are the most noteable changes from generation to generation of K-5s. Is it just body or were there different engine opptions in each generation. And also what one is easier to get parts and after maket stuff for (if there is a better one). Thanks for putting up whith my newbie questions! I hope to soon be the owner of a K-5 and im just starting to educate myself so i know what im looking at. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Of course the newer ones were more up to date brake (front disc rear drum vs all four drum) wise and engine efficency wise. Chances are you will always find more aftermarket parts for a 73 - 91 K5 blazer (second gen) vs a 69-72 (first gen). Our first gen's are nothing like broncos sadly. you could build a bronco from a kit anyday with millions of upgrades but for some reason our short lived first gen is well overlooked... Then again thats what makes the first gen's that much cooler! Engine options varied from the first gen years through they never offered a 454 as a stock option any year as far as I know, your common engines will be a SB400, SB350, most common a SB305 and even some 250Inline 6's?

ALso topper wise 69-74 were full top convertables meaning the top disconnected from the windsheild pillars back. The 73,74 are the most sought after second gens for that reason...74-91 were just half tops..

Hope I got you a jump on getting educated

3. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

*76 -91* were half tops...they stoped at 75 with the full.. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

4. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

i dont realy care about half or full convertable top. im just worried about best engines and after market parts. something tells me when i get this thing it will be broken alot /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Oh and another thing what is the fuel capacities like for k-5s. I have heard that its found whanting so to speak. And if so how hard would it be to make a dual tank k-5?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

My first K5 was a 72. I had a total of (3) gas tanks. Had the factory one in the rear, and a pair of saddle tanks from a 78 3/4 ton truck we had as a parts donar. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Did you have to ditch the rocker boxes to do that?

7. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

what u talkin 'bout willis? full tops are the ONLY way to go. j/k that's just my opinion /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

It's been so long I don't remember. I don't think we had to do much more then cut the holes for the fillers, and fab up some brackets for the strapes. Oh, and run the fuel lines through a 3 way valve. That truck had those ugly runnning boards, I do remember the saddle tanks hung kinda low, but at the time I didn't have to worry about rocks. I just wanta to be able to get some distance between gas stations. 454, and 4:56 gears will go through some gas !!!!!