Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

generator 2 light

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5dreamer, Nov 15, 2006.

1. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

Hey all, this has to do with the 1986 M1009 CUCV.

ive noticed that when i start the truck all the lights turn off except the Gen 2 light stays on fully bright. as soon as i rev the truck at all, the light goes off. also i have an amp and 10in sub installed, and when im playin the stereo at night i notice the gen 2 light is on but very very dim. and it gets brighter when the base hits.

my first idea is to that the second alternator is dying, but um... noobie question here, which one of the two is the second alternator? i was thinking about having a starting/charging test done, but does anyone know if they would charge extra to test the second alternator?

2. thedrip

thedrip 1/2 ton status

passenger side is gen 2. Kind of a bear to find replacement alternators, unless you've done a 12v conversion already.

3. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Well, mine does that too, fwiw.

Autozone et al could test each half of the 24V system ... but you'd hafta find a clueful droid to understand how.

I would say, yes, your alternator is getting worn... you can quickie check the system with a voltmeter, and maybe replace the battery you're running the stereo from with a newer / larger capacity one.

-- A

4. DesertDueler2

DesertDueler2 1/2 ton status

The first part before revving the engine is because the volt. reg. hasnt got the right amout of voltage to start charging. That is how all of them work. That is why when you rev it, the light turns off, becasue it is charging. As for the other part, your alt. is not big enough for your stereo. That in comb. with the battery not being powerful enough. I would also add a cap inline of you amp to help out.Dan

5. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

well a few updates.

got out to the truck this morning while it was warming up, and started jiggling the wires to the amp and sub to find the intermittant loss of continuity. found a loose ground, so i tightened that down. seemed to help.

also tracked the power cable to the firewall, and all was kosher, then as i drove to work.... the sub kicked off completley for good. got to work, popped the hood, found the amp power cable had pulled out of the terminal at the battery, ill have to open the crimp, recrimp, sodder, and shrinkwrap that sucker. also on the second battery, the positive terminal was loose, i mean real lose, i knocked it off by accident. but the connector is all buggered up and its gonna probly take an hour of work to clean up the connector, and a new bolt and nut to make it tight.

I believe it has already had the 12volt conversion, from what the previous owner said the 24v box is behind the engine and nothing is hooked up to it. i dont yet have the military manual on CD rom that the truck came with, i accidentally forgot it at the owners house. so im not really sure what to look for. the two batteries are brand new optima red tops that the owner just put in before selling it.

oh and im definatly looking at a cap for the sub.