Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Generic question, but complicated. (long),

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jimbojunk, Dec 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimbojunk

jimbojunk Registered Member

Hello, Hopefully, someone can help me. I have an 85 blazer, with a 2.8 that knocked bad. Got a "new" 2.8 engine from a yard. It's good, I heard it run smoothly before they yanked it. It was supposed to be a direct bolt swap. Buy wait, the engine wasn't an 84. From new gaskets and gook squeezed out of joints, it lookss like it was rebuilt. Based on cast numbers, engine rebuild guy said it could be anywhere from late 86 to 92. Apparently chevy did not date blocks.

As i found out, the basic block was a direct swap, but not exhaust manifold, water pump, fan, etc. Unfortunatly, i did not get the fan, fan pulley, altenator, air pump, or ps pump. The yard is an hour away and after a hassle, I finally got most of this stuff. Didn't get some of the brackets though. Identifying them, what year they came from and belt path is my question.

More information: Engine had a carburator, but no mech fuel pump.(it had an electric, got that too). it didn't have an ecu or any electronics. I plan to keep it as a carburated engine.

It also had a serpantene belt and not a vee belt(my 85 had both vee and small serpantine). Swapping stuff from the old engine would have included swapping water pump, timing cover, oil pan and maybe oil pickup. (too much of a pain). I think I got the belt path figured out, but would really like a detailed pic of the brackets with altenator, etc mounted on them. The engine will go in this weekend and except for the brackets, it should run (at least for a few minutes until i shut it off for no belt and no water pump)

I don't really care what year it is at this point, just as long as i can find the brackets. So anyone who thinks he knows what year it is and has a pic or can take one with a digital cam, would be greatly appreciated. Oh, it has no AC, by the way.

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> You must be talking about a baby Blazer, not a K5. I don't think anyone on here has one of the small ones, you might want to look for an S-truck site, probably would get more help on one of those. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font color>

3. VisionxOrb

VisionxOrb 1/2 ton status

I would think the the basic blocks and heads would be the same on those 2.8 v6s, you cant swap your exhaust and brackets over to the new engine?

4. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

5. dleroy43

dleroy43 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

since your swaping almost everything anyways, put in a V8 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. jimbojunk

jimbojunk Registered Member

not the way to gain friends, but....

To those who took the time to reply I suppose thanks would be in order. However it might have been nice is anyone had actually read my post. To the suggesion about putting in a V8: read carefully... intent is a simple engine swap, replacement allready bought and paid for. To suggesion about " I would think that block is the same, just swap.... Again, if you had read my post, you would have found out that it wasn't a simple as that. If i were to go that route, I might as well have driven to the chevy dealer and said "fix it". To those who sent me to the S-10 forum, you might note that there are only a handful of post and I was looking for a quick reply.

So, thanks to all, but I guess I should factor in the source that most of the posters on this are teen agers or act like one.

Sure, go ahead and flame me.

7. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

Re: not the way to gain friends, but....

Well, a reply like this means you can pretty much kiss your post goodbye....

Remember, nobody here is obligated to provide you with answers.

8. driney

driney 1/2 ton status Premium Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Swapping stuff from the old engine would have included swapping water pump, timing cover, oil pan and maybe oil pickup. (too much of a pain).

[/ QUOTE ]
    It seems to me that if the blocks are the same, and if you don't have the brackets to fit the motor you have, then this is really minor stuff. I read the responses from everyone else and I thought they were all pretty polite. The V-8 swap comment was clearly in fun, so lighten up!

9. fourwheelerjeff

ok, first please fill out your profile, the reason you are not getting much help here is because i have never seen a 2.8 v-6 powered k5, hence the reason i sent you to the s10 forum, also from your original post, i have trouble understanding what was on the original engine and what was on the yard motor, you say that the yard has a carb but no mechanical pump, are you sure it is not tbi, do you have a manual i.e. clymer, haynes, chilton, also from your post i can't figure out if you have the brackets or not, </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I should factor in the source that most of the posters on this are teen agers or act like one

[/ QUOTE ] sounds to me like you are the one acting any way, you run to a yard and get a motor, then when you don't get everything decide it is too much of a hassle to go back and get the right parts, so you come running here and post on the k5 forum, then start pouting and sulking when no one can help you /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

10. fourwheelerjeff

You dont need those Being reliable is a major goal for mine. I like to hit the back wood trails that don't see much use. So The mods I'd recomened would be: 3/4 Ton axles (cheaper then 1 Ton, but 1 Ton is better) and either a 4" or 6" suspension lift, and 33" to 36" tires. Now I don't know how you feel about trimming fenders, so I'll leave that one alone. That'll get ya out in the woods.

11. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

So, thanks to all, but I guess I should factor in the source that most of the posters on this are teen agers or act like one.

[/ QUOTE ]

WTF is up with that attitude, Mr. 4-poster? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Accusing us of being or acting like teenagers would be us accusing you of acting like God right here and now. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Until you can straighten up and come to your senses about what this site is really about (hint: K5's...FULLSIZE), you are not gonna last long on here.

A better site for someone like you would be on the PBB site. They can help you out better than we can. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. thatK30guy

BTW, Mr. 4-poster, fill out your profile if you expect anybody to help you. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

13. fourwheelerjeff

and on them 4 posts 3 are the same question in different forums and 1 is where he changed the subject line in his answer /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

14. thatK30guy

I guess "God" knows what he is doing, right? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

15. fourwheelerjeff

16. fourwheelerjeff

its useually more fun when two people are in the cab together. good luck and dong get stuck .

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. thatK30guy

dong get stuck .

[/ QUOTE ]

I like how you spelled that "dong". /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Sounds like "God" needs to get some "dong", if you know what I mean! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. thatK30guy

Thanks for the heads-up! Now I know where that quote came from!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Hey, that's nice. I didn't know the answer, and knew that you weren't likely to get one here so I tried to give a suggestion as to where you might find the answers you need. What do I get for being helpful? A big ol' stinkin attitude.

To those who sent me to the S-10 forum, you might note that there are only a handful of post and I was looking for a quick reply

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> So it's our responsibility to go looking at some other forum to see if you had already posted there? I don't think so. Maybe you should have paid more attention when you bought the engine, ****chop. </font color>

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.