Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Genuine Steel products

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by outlaw612, Oct 21, 2002.

1. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Has anyone used any of their products? I just bought a weld on brace from ORD, and it is made by Genuine. All i can say is its horrible. Doesnt fit, had to beat it into place, and had to enlarge the holes because they didnt line up. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

On the other hand, the bolt on bracket made by ORD is great. A 1st class product. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Had the same problem here, Matt. I just said screw it and welded it on. I didn't think I'd ever be modifying anything in that area, so I didn't bother lining up holes. The holes that I did have to align, I just burnt them bigger with the welder and went on about my business. About the best way to make it fit is to mount the box with the plate underneath and pull it snug, then tack weld it in place, remove the box, then finish welding it up. It's a lot of work, but it helped.

3. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I burn the holes bigger with the torch and beat the he!! out of it with a 3# hammer to make it fit semi flush and weldedit as best I could. I still have to weld the plate on the bottom of the frame, but it should be a liitle easier to form. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Does this give you any ideas about how I feel?
    [​IMG]
    I have the nerf bars. The plastic steps gave out real quick and now, after a good blast of road salt last winter, the powdercoat is flaking in huge chunks.

5. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i just did the same kit this weekend...i had to do a little trimming with the band saw for the part that welds under the frame...the holes lined up for the most part

6. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

I cant comment on the quality, because from what Ive seen there is none. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif

7. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

It sounds like you got off easy if all you had to do was a little trimming. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. NCblackandredk5

NCblackandredk5 1/2 ton status

genuine... its just that... genuine junk... check out my nerf bars in my webshots... those step pads lasted about a week

9. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Anyone have their hitch receiver shackle bracket? I need a receiver shackle and have a line on one of their's. I was gonna jump on it til I found this post. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I doubt they can screw up a reciver shackle (if they do indeed know anything about steel /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif ), but a shackle is not the place to find out.

10. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

i've got their black nerf bars. i've had them on for over 1 1/2 years now and no problems to speak of yet.

11. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i've got their black nerf bars. i've had them on for over 1 1/2 years now and no problems to speak of yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Mine suck and I'll be glad to get rid of them.

12. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

once i get back to the midwest where there is snow, we'll see how they hold up the the road salt.