Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Genuine Suspension. Good brand???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Mar 8, 2002.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I found an ad selling a 6" ALL SPRING lift from Genuine Suspension. Front and rear tapered springs, hardware, and shocks. Is this a good name brand? Are these quality springs or should I stay away? I don't rock crawl or make trails. Looking for something as sag resistant in the rear as possible without a teeth ratting ride.

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

I believe Genuine is 4WPW house brand of crap. I mean, they will work, I personally havent had any experience with them, but I have never heard a good word about Genuine or 4WPW. My recommendation for cost and a decent ride is Rough Cough country. They include steering correctiona dn shocks, you just need to get the brake lines. They seem to flex rather decent too. Anyway, thats what I have heard, but n personal experience of Genuine, but a lot with Rough Country.

3. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

I believe superlift and genuine susp. are suppose to be one in the same... just a lot cheaper price tag.

4. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

that is also my understanding. i have them (i think!) on my front (6"ers) i have a slightly ruff ride, but hell, i am in a 'wheeler!

5. fulltopblazer

fulltopblazer 1/2 ton status

I have a genuine suspension 6in lift on my '74 blazer. I haven't had any problems with it. It's been on their for about a year and a half. I only have the front springs I have a shackle flip in the rear with a little block. Its pretty stiff but for what we do it works fine. I would buy one again. Maybe not if I did alot of rocks. Thats my two cents

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

but the question is who makes superlift springs?
    it aint superlift unless they moved to Canada

7. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I actually got the Genuine supension lift from 4WPW and it is a lift kit that they put together. Basically it is Pro Comp springs with a set of cheap shocks and generic rear blocks. I actually had them cross refernce the part number for the genuine suspension kit and the Pro Comp kit and it was the same springs. I've had no problems with my kit at all. And this is my second set. I had the 2.5 first and now I have the 4in. Both ride quite well.

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I bought a 6" Genuine suspension lift from 4wpw with blocks and steering arm...Everything was ProComp...the springs, u-bolts, hardware, and blocks all cam in Pro Comp boxes...I have yet to install the lift so I can't tell you about the ride. I got the cheap Eliminator shock to keep the vouncing under control until i do my Ford shock bracket and MO offroad bracket in the back...the lift is a good deal...go for it...

Chris

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Slapped a 6" Genuine suspen lift on a 79'K5. Typical bouncy ride like your gonna have on anything with new springs. As far as the flex goes its a little tight actually not awhole lotta flex at all, more like alot of 3 wheel action. If you want it for looks or sand or mud then get it. If you wanna play on the rocks then stay away. Had them on a year and they never sagged, we did however eventually put a 2" add-a-leaf in the rear to level out height. Hope this actual testimony helps.

10. bigredblazer

bigredblazer 1/2 ton status

They are in fact Pro Comp springs, I work at 4WPP and sell them all the time. If you want a soft riding spring with really good flex, talk to Stephen at ORD, the Tuff Country springs have the lightest spring rate with the exception of custom springs. They are the best bang for the buck. I have been running them for about 2-1/2 years and like them a lot! Jon

11. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I don't know if it's because yours are 6in and mine are 4in, but my springs are pretty damn flexy. I have to try HARD to get some three wheel action going. And believe me I try all the time./forums/images/icons/wink.gif

12. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Maybe its the difference in the way we wheel...muhaha... the K5 with those springs has been rolled 3 different times.../forums/images/icons/crazy.gif.

13. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

yeah my pro-comp 4" fronts are the same p# as the genuines. a little stiff but for what i do they're ok.