Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gertag tranny?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DieselDan, Apr 5, 2002.

1. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Did GM ever use a Gertag transmission in any of their trucks? How well were they built? What is the output spline and what transfer case did they come with?

A friend says he has a five speed he'd sell me (cheap), but I only heard of the 89mm 5spd and the NV4500 (I know it's NOT a NV4500) in a GM. Did the 89mm have an intergral bell housing (he says this tranny does)? I want a manual but I NEED an OD. I would even consider running a doubler to make up for lack of a granny gear.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The Getrag had the integral bell housing. 32 spline output and usually found with a NP241 behind them. These were found in the IFS trucks, and had the drivers side drop T-case.

Honestly they are kind of a weak tranny, all aluminum case and no granny gear. Good for a light duty truck I guess, but i wouldn't think of swapping one in.

Rene

3. RedDwarf

RedDwarf 1/2 ton status

It would probably be a lot cheaper to use an NV4500 for the OD and low gear rather than using a Getrag and a doubler. Better tranny to boot!

4. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

I don't know about cheaper, as I have most of the parts to do a doubler now. Plus the cool factor of having something different. BUT the sturdiness of the Gertag is a big concern. I'm not comtemplating bolting this tranny behind a blown 502, just a turbo 6.2 (oil burner).

Does anybody have any first hand experience with this tranny? Did it crap out on you? I worked at a Ferd dealer years ago and we did have problems with Gertags, but I don't remember that tranny looking quite like this one. Anyone have any info on the different models?

5. tRustyK5

I had one behind a 350 in an 88 GMC 1/2 ton 2WD pick-up (new body style). It's a nice shifting tranny, very much like a car 5 speed. It is a noisy tranny though, it always sounded like there was gravel floating around inside it...even when it was brand new. The only problem I had with mine was a small press pin sheared inside the shifter tower leaving me unable to shift. This happened at 40,000 miles and again 10,000 miles later. It's a top loader tranny and replacing that little pin is a PITA!!!

By the time I sold the truck the synchro from first to second was showing signs of wear and it would grind a bit between gears now and then. It had 61,000 miles on it when I sold it.

Rene

6. tRustyK5

I had one behind a 350 in an 88 GMC 1/2 ton 2WD pick-up (new body style). It's a nice shifting tranny, very much like a car 5 speed. It is a noisy tranny though, it always sounded like there was gravel floating around inside it...even when it was brand new. The only problem I had with mine was a small press pin sheared inside the shifter tower leaving me unable to shift. This happened at 40,000 miles and again 10,000 miles later. It's a top loader tranny and replacing that little pin is a PITA!!!

By the time I sold the truck the synchro from first to second was showing signs of wear and it would grind a bit between gears now and then. It had 61,000 miles on it when I sold it.

Rene

7. DieselDan

DieselDan 1/2 ton status

Wow, 60K and the syncho is making noise? Pin breaking in the shifter, TWICE? Crap that just answered my questions. Thanks TRust. Guess the search for a NV is on!