Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

get a truck and trailer or just a flat bed to haul buggy?

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by 55Willy, Mar 25, 2007.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I'v been looking at truck to pull a trailer once the buggy is done but the down side to that is finding room for a trailer to sit when not in use and for the truck for that matter. So I was thinking of narrowing the search down to a 2wd duallie that can then build a car hauler platform on the rear just big enough for the buggy. that way I only need one more parking spot at the house and easier to park at the trail head too.

my buddy has a 74 chevy 1 ton 2wd but it only has a 8' flat bed on it, which is a shame as it's a super beefy and well build bed just too short for what i need. but is it worth the $750 he wants and just add onto the bed???? or sell the bed off of it and build one to suit my needs??

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

i tolg me, that "my" price is $500 if i come get it. for that it's worth it to me to then build a dove tail portion to catch the rear axle that is mounted at a slope to avoid bneeding ramps too.

3. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

how much does the buggy weigh? thats will have a big effect on your decision. A friend of mine bought a rollback to haul his jeep with. he found other uses for it, but eventually the cost to maintain,register and insure it for a year made it not worth keeping.

I prefer a truck and trailer setup. mostly because I drive the truck daily.

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

buggy should be in the 2500-3000 range.

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

thats not much weight. an enclosed trailer would be awesome for that. you would have a rolling garage. figure the trailer loaded with the buggy, tools, couch, tv, refrigerator full of beer and some spare parts would weight max 6000 lbs. you can pull that with anything with a V8.

but a dually with a custom bed would work too.

6. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I got the thinking in order to fit a 14' flat bed i'd have 5' in front of the axle and 9' out the back. seams extreme. the ideal platform would then be a crew cab with a standard cab on it so the 2nd seat area would actually be more room for a flatbed father up on the chassis. which would better handle the 3K pounds of the buggy.

and by the time I do a cab swap and build a bed I could just get a trailer, back to sqaure one, LMAO

7. 1-tonmudder

1-tonmudder 1/2 ton status

By a BlueBird with a Cummins and chop the back off.

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

well I ended up buying a 16' tandem axle trailer. just need to construct a battery box and multi mount for the winch. Now i'm in the market for a truck.

9. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

will know within the hour if I get my new burb. 1995 GMC 3/4 ton 350 auto.
    power everything, leather.... selling the cop car to get the buggy done then back to work on the 68.