Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Get these tires??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, May 25, 2004.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am lookin to buy some 33" tires that are good for some offroad and work well on road.. i really like the look and details of the Interco TSL/THORNBIRD's so who has ran them? they seem like a good mix for what i need. [​IMG]

2. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

I've heard nothing but bad things about those tires.
    It may just be the fullsize guys that don't like them I'm not sure.

Personally I'd go with the SSR's, I've heard only good things about those tires.
    I have BFG Mud Terrains right now and couldn't have asked for a better tire up till now.
    They've been on my rig for about 6 years now, course that's limited mileage but they have lasted and are great on the road too.

My next set however are gonna be 35x14.5R15's
    [​IMG]

3. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

33" TURDS A buddy of mine ran some. He busted two 12 bolts. It was only a mall crawler pick up, yet he still tore up his truck with them. He switched to BFG's and hasn't had trouble since. Maybe there is just too much rubber that weighs too damn much. Have fun!!

4. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine had 31" SSR's on his '03 2500HD until a couple weeks ago when he blew one out on the highway. He is not happy with SSR's.

5. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

I'm running 36" tsl radial swampers and love them /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif best of both worlds.

6. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I hear that "Thorn Chickens" are great if you want no traction in... sand, mud, dirt, grass, pavement....umm that sounds like all !!! /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

7. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Forget the turdbirds, I ran 33x14.50 SSR's for a long time and I got a TON of miles out of them, rode great, were quiet, and handled better than my old BFG's. They still had 1/2 tread when I sold them and I ran them for 20,000 miles.

8. dodgetruck91

dodgetruck91 Registered Member

I herd bad thinigs to, i herd thtey clean for SH!t. and their worse thten BFG ATs

9. wfo163

wfo163 1/2 ton status

A friend of mine ran them on his 79 k5 for a while. They wouldnt clean well in the colorado clay. The sidewall traction was amazing and he never cut one but in the end he ditched them for bfg mud terrains. The t-birds just dont have the pattern to be good on anything but pavement, and probably slick rock. I run 37 inch ssr's and I have had good luck with them on my 83 k30. Great traction but I wish I would've bought 42 inch tsl's instead.

10. jones

jones 1/2 ton status

i'm running 31-10.5-15 Firestone Destination M/T.they're good on wet pavement ,snow,mud,dig trenches in the sand so i wouldn't hit the dunes with 'em,steep dirt hills aren't a problem,seem to clean fairly decent, low to no road noise,only slight growl when coming to a stop, and rock crawling in this area of michigan is nearly non-existant so i haven't tried them in that area.Siskel n' ebert gave 'em /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif!wait,that was someone else.but i'm pretty impressed so far,also,and they were $585 OTD,so i didn't think the price was too bad either.

11. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Don't walk, RUN from these tires /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I had these tires once. They are heavy, stiff, noisy, rough, and have poor traction in any environment. They look cool, but.... Get some basic mud tires and you'll be much happier.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

13. steveo

steveo Registered Member

the best set of tires i have ever owned, even though they might be a little heavy, i am currently running 36x14.50x15 parnellie jones dirt grips, i have heard all bad news about thornbirds, i have run dunlop mud rovers, they were like an all terrain, i have run bfg's, great mud tire, not too agressive though, on my 77 chevy k 20 i have 37" super swamper ssr's they weren't bad, but nothing to the parnellie's they wear awsome, the clean themselfs great air em down and the side lugs are like massive hands grabbing everything

14. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

CRAP CRAP CRAP and CRAP. What kind of wheeling you planning on doing?

15. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

ah ok haha well i guess those tires are out of the picture, im in Connecticut so east coast stuff,, not anything really crazy some trails/mud cuz i still gotta use it as my DD.

16. firefighter184

firefighter184 1/2 ton status

I have heard a wide range of opinions on BFG A/T KO's, but I ran them for three years on three different trucks, and they are (IN MY OPINION) a perfect tire for trails, a little mud and daily driving. I'm running some off brand muds right now, but I kept my BFG's for winter tires. We get a fair amount of snow around here and they do great in all seasons.