Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getrag HM290/NV3500 rebuild...Do it yourself?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by newyorkin, Jul 12, 2005.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I have two of these tranny's.

I took apart one the other day. The cluster gear is chewed to pieces on it...
    On the other hand, my tranny (still driving around in the truck) has a worn syncro and worn bearings (just going by the noise).

I'm wondering how realistic it would be to pull my tranny, and swap in the bearings and good parts (4th syncro) to it. 1 or 2 shops I've talked to hemmed and hawed about what a pain they are to work on, and just to crack open the case they want a couple hundred bucks.

Taking apart the junk one was surprisingly easy, once we figured out how things came apart. I think we damaged the case on that one, but the internals should be ok.

I'm really getting tempted to try this if I don't sell my truck by this weekend... I'm just afraid of screwing up and ending up with a truck that literally has no transmission, rather than a truck that still drives on a noisy tranny...

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Rebuild it yourself. Nothing hard about rebuilding any transmission once you learn the tricks to each one (mostly autos that need special tricks/tool). But I would suggest buying a rebuild manual for it first. The place I use to get them is Transmission Exchange Company in Portland, OR. They will also sell you new and used parts for any transmission at a resonable price. It is typically where I get my rebuild kits.

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

What year getrags? I just pulled a first desing getrag out of my grandpas truck today. They are easy (eventhought I didnt take it apart), split the cases, and its about like any other manual tranny. Do you have a manual, have you ever done a manual tranny? Did you pay attention to where everyhitng went when you took it apart, and like the order of everyhitng on the mainshaft. If not its ok, just see if the mainshaft lines up with the counter. You have an advantage having a whole other tranny right there, lol.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'm not sure what gen it is, it's from a 93, so I'd guess it's a little bit into it's design life. Mine is a 92, hopefully they're not far apart enough to prevent parts interchange, that cluster gear is near the same cost of a junkyard tranny...
    I've never rebuilt a tranny, and do not have manuals for these. I'm looking, but can't seem to find them. My uncle knows a guy he swears by who does tranny's only, I'll get in touch with him and find out where he gets manuals. He already turned it down saying they're too expensive to rebuild and he's never done one.

Thanks for the good words fellas.