Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gettiing me little sis a S10 jimmy

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by DUKE, Apr 29, 2003.

1. DUKE

DUKE 1/2 ton status

First dose GMC call the jimmy a S10? I dunno
    any who it is a 93 GMC jimmy with the 4.3l vortech. Before I go get it for her, anyproblematic things i need to look out for.? thanks

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

GMC's version of the S-10 is S-15

3. azblazor

azblazor 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just bought my daughter a 89 S10 Blazer 4x4 (2dr). Its got just about all the options. It is in excellent condition - has the 4.3L. Those years 89-93 S10 blazers are a Consumers Guide "Best Buy".

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Technically, the S-15 is a 2WD GMC and a T-15 is a 4WD GMC, but I don't think they used different badging on 'em. It's just what you'll run across when shopping for parts, and in the service manuals. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anyway, we've got a '91 4-door GMC S-Jimmy that was purchased new. The damn thing is like the Energizer Bunny, it just keeps going, and going... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif The only somewhat major expenses in the last 136,000 miles have been two alternators, a starter, and a rear ring and pinion set. (But I've broken the gears in the rear of just about everything I've owned in the last 20 years. Broke teeth off the pinion gear in this one, even with the weak-sister 4.3). I swapped out all the U-joints just for grins while I was doing the gears. The water pump died at around 120K, but it only cost something like $29. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I did need to replace EVERY moving part in the front steering and suspension at about 70K miles. Upper and lower ball joints, tie rod ends, pitman arm and idler arm. The "lubed for life" factory parts were lubed for a rather short life! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif But all the new parts have zerk fittings and everything up front is nice and tight 65K miles later! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

The only other problem area seems to be the drivers door. The power lock switch died. The return spring on the inner door handle has broken twice (and every S-truck that I see in junkyards either has A) the return spring broken or B) the door handle has already been snagged, so it appears to be a pretty common problem). The arm rest/ door pull on the drivers door has also broken a couple of times. The other doors, which are seldom used, are holding up fine. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

A few weeks ago the tilt steering column started to get loose. A couple of hours digging into it and tightening the lower housing bolts and it's as good as new again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Everything else on the truck is factory original, even the 700R4! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif (Knock on wood!) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif