Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gettin a new 4x4 comp cam

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by down4thakrown, Apr 12, 2005.

1. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

putting one in the new motor, its the 270/274 advertised in/ex. wanted to see if anyone else is runnin this and how they like it, hows it on gettin it through emissions, i was reading up on it and it said somthing about a 2000 stall ? does that mean i have to get a new torque converter or would my stock one be fine??
    thx

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im running the cam one step down from that one, i like it alot. lots of torque and still have power in higher rpms. we don't have emissions here so i couldn't tell you anything on that.

what tranny you running? certain applications have higher stalls speeds from the factory so you won't need a aftermarket converter.

3. down4thakrown

turbo 350/205 with 4.10s
    dunno what year its from possibly late 70's
    its goin in a 75 chevy, i know emissions is goin to be a pain i was curious if anybody could get it through with out runnin any additives in the gas?

4. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I failed emmissions then used that guaranteed to pass... $7 for the bottle... passed beautifully the next time :cool1:

5. down4thakrown

did u put the whole 7 oz in it with a full tank??
    im worried that'll take miles off the motor using it. i used it in my other truck and it seemed to run a little ****ty

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

being from Pheonix what is your rig? Not a mud runner is it? That camshaft is far too big for a crawler IMHO. That and I don't forsee passing emissions with that camshaft anytime soon. I know in PA my K5 wouldn't pass with a little RV camshaft(much less duration than that cam you have there).

7. down4thakrown

its an A.T.V. rig. my buddy past with the same camshaft as big83chevy4x4 but, he has the carburated vortec conversion on his 76.why do u say the cam is too big for crawling.would it be cause its more likely to die goin up/down hills??or too much torque??? oh well atleast it will sound cool :pimp:
    guess i'll just have to be quick bout puttin it in neutral and two footin it. i got pretty good at it when my :truck: had a bad carb it died as soon as it got to any incline/decline.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  8. down4thakrown

guess when u edit somthin it doesnt go to the top :dunno: