Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

gettin gears today $$$$$

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bklynlifted, Sep 4, 2002.

1. bklynlifted

bklynlifted 1/2 ton status

ok so i head down to the local driveline shop cause ive got some noise in the rear so they pull the cover and i see metal, ok so this is what i need a new R&P,8 1/2 3.73 new auburn pro series carrier, all new bearings, seals spicer u joints master rebuild kit,etc. so i tell him do it here is the price breakdown.2 spicer u joints 40.00 auburn pro series 8 1/2 30 spline limited slip 395.00,2 axel bearing & seal kit's 36.00 gear oil 9.87,ring & pinion 195.00, labor 300.00 master rebuild bearing kit95.00 install u joints 10.00 grand total 1,081.21 the only thing not being changed is the axel shafts so is this price ok???? i have only found 2 places in brooklyn who i would let touch my truck.thanks /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/cool.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif web page

2. Yuba K5

Yuba K5 Registered Member

that price sounds good to me.i had my gears changed with an eaton posi,bearings,seals,gear oil,and a friction modifier(for the posi)for about $1100

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> For that kind of scratch you could swap in a set of 3/4 ton axles with a better ratio and have money left over for wheels and a l/s... </font color>

4. bklynlifted

tires and rims are 4 months old and i don't go offroad that much and the 3.73's work fine for what i'm doing with the truck i only use it on the weekends and for hunting in the fall last year i only put 2900 miles on it and i dont have the time to search the scrap yards. and there are not to many truck's in broolkyn. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

5. bklynlifted

6. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

1100 bones!!!!!

ouch.....

I'd get a secondhand axle for 150 and have it shipped to me if I were you...!!!

1100... geze.....
    I guess the priice is fair but weigh your options man.... /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

7. bklynlifted

i feel the pain 1100.00$$$$ is what the job is worth in NY i know i could get a 12 0r a 14sf from the for sale forum but i don't want to put in a used axel and then have to rebuild it if it detonates the cost to ship and purchase a used axel is half the cost of a complete rebuild and i get a one year warrenty and auburn gear has a program where you can send in your carrier and get it rebuilt for 85.00 including shipping only catch is the unit must have been bought in the past 4 years????? later web page /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'd never spend that kind of cash on a 10 bolt. That is outragous.

$300 to set up gears? SCREW THAT!!

9. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color="blue">One of my freinds in Rockland Co NY is parting out a 90 K5 with a good pair of 10 bolts. I'm not sure of the gears. Ryan's email is bigblaze90@aol.com

10. bklynlifted

the labor rate in new york is 75.00 an hour i think 300.00 is fair considering they have to strip the rear down to the housing clean and replace every part in their?? a 10 bolt is all i need like i said i only put about 3000 miles on it a year and if i go with a used rear i dont want to get stuck 10 miles from the nearest paved road and another 20 to tne next town towing that far is costly. i will have peice of mind knowing my rear is 100% new, and my hunting season will not get screwed up by being cheap?? just my opinion. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif PS gonna pick up the truck friday afternoon had to work the times square concert this afternoon O.T helps pay for the toy /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

11. Yuba K5

Yuba K5 Registered Member

i have heared from my cousin from oklahma that we are gettin screwed ouy here in california,price of used 4x4(ecspecialy 73 and older)sterio equip.,aftermarket parts,screwed by junkyards($2000 for a dana 60)screwed, screwed,screwed.hardly hurts anymore.can i say that? /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

12. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Here in south TX...For a grand total i got 4.56 installed wiht the rebuild kits in both the front and rear.

13. bklynlifted

lets say 195.00 for each ring and pinion thats 390.00 plus rebuild kit 95.00 each 180.00 thats 570.00 so thats 340 for labor 170.00 each axel thars very reasionable, i also needed a new auburn gear posi unit 395.00 so i pick up the truck this afternoon and it;s smooth as a baby's ass can i say ass /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif bottom line i am confident my rear will last a lone time, if i hit the irish sweepsteaks i'll upgrade&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; to a hummer. later guy's n girls /forums/images/icons/cool.gif web page

14. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

Dude! Call Hunts Point for an axle, you will probably pay about $150 for the axle. For $718.79 more you can get a Dana 60 front with 4.56's with a trac loc &amp; a 14bolt FF with 4.56's with a detroit locker from Wayne.

15. bklynlifted

to late the job is done and the truck just got back from the shop it's runng perfect ?? thanks for the info /forums/images/icons/wink.gif