Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gettin hot on the Highway

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Wraparound, Mar 1, 2004.

1. Wraparound

Wraparound Registered Member

The only time I hit the 210 mark in my 87 is at freeway speeds, especially up 50 to Tahoe. I had the Radiator coredor rodded or whatever but they said it was still at 70% and it didn't change the running temps.
    I have two ideas on this. Somehow when I redid the heads two years ago I put the wrong temp sending unit on, or the passages in the engine clogged up while it was down for repairs.
    I'm thinking about installing an auxilliary electric fan with a manual switch but I'm not sure if it will have any effect at higher speeds.
    If I could clear this hurdle I would not have any reservations about the rest of the maintenance related repairs I need to do. Let me know what you guys think/ /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well thats very weird! It should run it's coolest when you are getting a lot of air flow through the condener and radiator like when you are on the freeway. How hot does it run in town? What's it do when it idles for a few? What degree is your stat? Do you have OD? If you do than maybe your water pump is weak and not pumping very well at low RPM's. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

do you have a flex fan? regular fan with worn out clutch?? do you not have a tstat?

4. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

well, from the factory it should have a 195 T-stat in it, So it's not uncommon to go up over 200. Are you looking at a factory gauge? It might not be 100% accurate.

5. Wraparound

Wraparound Registered Member

Factory guage and Fan. Newly replaced thermostat, 170 or 190. I think. 700R4 Tranny. Runs in the 160-180 range at idle and at speeds under 65; this is where it always used to run. The water pump is a lifetime NAPA and was replaced 3-4 years ago. Not a big deal but I am afraid to hit the mountains and to tow anything. Didn't overheat with loads of firewood however.

6. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

When you get yours fixed let me know what it was. My blazer does the same thing.