Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Gettin' there!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dontoe, Feb 7, 2006.

1. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Finally got someone to contract my concrete pad. Tomorrow they lay the rebar and pour the footing. Took these just after dawn this morning as I was leaving for work on my day off!! That's a contradiction!!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

looks good but i see one problem. need to post in the lounge section.:D

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Huh??

Why??--its not ok to post about a GARAGE in the garage??..:rolleyes: :haha: ...

Looks like you wont be working outside much longer Dontoe !!..I also noticed your quonset hut arches piled up like bananas in the background!..mine was shipped the same way on a pallet when I got it..hard to belive a pile that size will turn into a building big enough to live and work in!...yours is 25x40 right?...bet you can't wait until its done!..I know I was very anxious to get mine done when I built it..:crazy:

4. dontoe

They got all the rebar in yesterday, formed up and today it passed inspection. Tomorrow the pour. Yeah, diesel.......I can't wait to fire up one of those jet engine looking heaters and actually be warm and comfortable doing some enjoyable work on my trucks!!!

Light dusting of snow this morning!!!

[​IMG]

5. K30Blazer

K30Blazer 1/2 ton status Premium Member

check out my website. I have been building my garage for 18 months now. Well that isn't true, I was getting permits for 14 months.

www.themerricks.net/garage.htm

6. dontoe

Just glanced at it, gotta get some dinner in me, then I'll spend more time there. Love the house, looks like an English home to me. My Wife will like it I bet!

Wow......what a time y'all have had!!! You've got more money in yer garage, than my property is worth!!! Great looking job, by the way!!!

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Anchors??

How are you going to anchor your building??..I ordered a metal "C" channel base plate the arches bolt too,that in turn bolt to the foundation with anchor bolts.. are you going to simply bury the arches in the concrete,or did your come with a "base plate" connector?...

I made my foundation walls about 18" above ground level, to gain some height,and prevent water from seeping in at the base..I could not get any "sill sealer" foam in rolls when I was building it,so I used tarpaper and caulked the edges of the base plate where it sat on the cement..I wish now I'd used a pail or two of roofing tar cement to seal it better before I bolted them down,water still weeps in when snow melts..:doah: ..

I'd be sure to tie the arches down securely when you start building,they are very flimsy until you get 3 or 4 bolted together,and wind can twist them up badly..once you get those first 3 or 4 bolted up and anchored,you can walk on them and stand on them easy,unless you weigh 300 lbs or something..if you decide to bolt the arches together on the ground,and hoist them up in one peice,its easier to do it from above, on top of the arches already installed..I'm not good with heights,and couldn't hoist them up alone,so I did it a few panels at a time..

I had a few friends help me get the first few arches up after bolting them together on the ground,I used a long 4x4 post rigged into my trucks reese hitch as a crude hoist(it had a pulley bolted on the top,and guy ropes tied to the bed!)..and winched them up with a rope..they were like wet noodles,and I feared we'd kink them in half!..:eek1:

I piece mealed it together alone after that,by bolting 2 arch peices at a time, and it took me about 2 weeks to finish bolting it up..I learned the hard way NOT to tighten the bolts tight until they are ALL in,or it will make lining the holes up a bitch!..You'll need a length of threaded rod to help draw the arches up close enough to get the nuts on the bolts..it took me 3 months to grow the skin back on my thumb and forefinger!..4000+ bolts in the january cold was tough on skin!..:doah: ..but I have enjoyed having it since 1992,and wish I built it much sooner!..:crazy: ..keep the pictures coming!..:laugh:

8. dontoe

Thanks for the info Robert! Got the cemebt done today!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :p: :p: :wink1:
    [​IMG]