Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting 44s. Have Some Questions

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TeK, Aug 30, 2006.

1. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

Ok I just purchased some 44" TSLs for my 85 K5. It has a built D60 in the front and 14BFF out back. I've cut the fenders a little bit but am wondeirng about what to do for suspension height. I don't want to get it to tall for the fact that it'll be unstable offroad.

Would this setup be good for me?

4" EZ Ride 52s up front w/ 7.25" shackles and 1" ZR
    4" EZ Ride 56s out back w/ Shackle flip using 6" shackles and 1" ZR
    I'll also probably put a 1" BL on it just for some extra security.

Just wondering if that would get me close to where I need to be to have a capable rig offroad. I can trim more if need be. Let me know. Thanks!

P.S.

I've heard people tell me I'm going to need at least 10" lift for 44s even with cut fenders. I'd like between 8"-12"(preferably no larger than 10") lift. I don't want the rig tall because I'll be goin on a lot of off camber trails and rocks. Let me know what you guys think.

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i have seen a truck that only had 6 inches of lift and was running 44's with a lot of fender hacking the guys name on here is projunkracing

3. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

yeah I've talked to him. I want a little more lift w/ alot more flexing then his 6" packs are gona give.

4. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Then you aren't going to want to go more than 6" packs.

I've seen a blazer with only a few inches of lift and I believe one that had no lift tucking 44's (there's pictures on here somewhere). At the same time I have about 8" and hit w/ my 38's so it all depends on what you want to cut up.

-Avery

5. 1979jimmy350

well then you will need to make up the difference with body lift or more fender trimming. I don't think you are going to be able to trim much more fender then he did, i have seen that truck up close and ridden in it, and there was not much of a front fender left

6. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

here is how I fit my 44's

8 inch superlift springs with offroad design longer shackles up front. bolted to a dana 60. remove the inner fender and hack the outer fender skin back to the cab. along with a 3 inch body lift. they still hit when I flex it up. I took the spring pack apart and smoothed the ends done, coated them with high gloss paint and PBlaster dry lube. they ride great. even for 8" you can grab the bumper and bounce the truck up and down. the front stuff's up about 8" and droops about 5"

In the rear I have a offroad design 2.5" shackle flip with superlift 8" spring that I removed every other spring from the main one down. same prep to the springs. dry lube is great. same results. the rear stuff's the tire about 14" up from ride height and droops about 8".:eek1: that enough flex for anyone. well maybe. I can send you pics if it helps.

stability wise it's great. the axles and tires weigh so much it stays pinned to everything. climbing in and out isn't so great.

7. peterpan

peterpan Registered Member

9 inches and 38x12.50-16.5 tsls 6 suspension 3 body flexes real good no fender cutting eventually going with bigger tires then maybe fender trimming will be needed
    [​IMG]

8. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

I have 6" of lift and have trimmed the fenders a fair amount and still run like a big dog even with the sway bar connected. I'm thinking of moving the axle forward, adding zero rates and then a body lift just to get up to 39.5

IMG_2946.JPG

IMG_2943.JPG

IMG_2947.JPG

9. ivie29

ivie29 1/2 ton status

I ran 44s with 6 inches of lift and the front fenders cut back to the floor of the cab. The tires barely rubbed at full articulation but they didnt perform as well as smaller tires so I got rid of them. The problem was that they made the truck so wide. If they made a 44 x 12.5 that would work well.

10. Jishory

Jishory 1/2 ton status

my vote is for the 6' lift too, you really dont want it that tall of a lift because you are getting alot of height off of your tires already, those 52's will help keep the tires off the cab, my cousin fits 42's with 6' and it has alot of room to flex, just drop your bumpstops ALOT, like 3-4 inches and lose the inner fenders, trim/gring where it rubs mang

i have a 6' lift and im mad because i could have gotten away with a 4' lift now after installing everything and im gettin 40's

11. noahrob

I don't get it...how do you not hit the firewall?

12. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I think Moving the axle forward is the key with running bigger tires. Even with cut fenders, and 8" of lift the stock location puts the tire into the firewall when you stuff it.

13. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

one reason why I'm running 52s up front. It will move the axle up about 1.5" to 2" total.

Should I get the 6" EZs rather than the 4" EZs? Will they flex as well as the 4"s?

14. noahrob

Here is flex with 4" EZ's and tiny little 35's. Sway bar was one for this shot.

2210274_14_full.jpg

15. 1979jimmy350

the 6" would be better, they will still flex pretty good, contact projunkracing i belive he is selling his front springs for a pretty good price

16. 88-3/4t-bad boy

88-3/4t-bad boy 1/2 ton status

you could get the 4" springs. then zero rates and longer shackles in the front for an extra two inches then for the back use the 2 1/2 inch shackle flip kit. thats good for six inches. if you want flex that and a 3 inch body lift should clear 44's with some trimming. im planning on putting my burb on 42's with my 6" lift and 3" body lift. it fits 39.5's without the trimming so im pretty sure hacking away 4 inches wouldnt hurt. thats just my opinion though.

17. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

if you want sweet flex you should run the set up im going to run (in the process) im running 5" lifted 64's in rear with shackle flip (just did that this summer) and in the spring i will be swapping in 4" lifted 56's up front. i adjusted it so the 64's moved my axle back 2.5" instead of the typical amount by moving the front hanger forward a little bit. its ~9" lift. thinking about a 1" body lift (needs new body mounts so i could do both at the same time) so i can clock the t-case.

heres a pic of how it sits now with the 64's shackle flip and 39.5's and trimming (that is all the trimming i needed, have had the rear flexed out and just clears). its currently got 8" BDS and 1" zero-rate up front. 56s will be swapped in in the spring.

DSCN0549.JPG

DSCN0548.JPG

18. TeK

TeK 1/2 ton status

Well I just got done talking to Kert and he liked this setup I said.

4" 52s up front w/ 7.25" Shackle and 1" ZRs
    4" 56s out back w/ Shackle flip using 6" shackles and 1" ZRs
    I will then replace body mounts and put a 1" BL.

That should give me what I need for 44s. Kert said for flex that I should use to the 4" springs instead of the 6" springs. Should I go to the 6" springs and use 56s up front with 64s out bacK?

19. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Out of the two choices you gave me, this is the one I would use.

On my 44'd blazer I am running factory 52's with a modded b52 kit in the front with the axle slid a long ways forward. Alot of fender trimming has taken place and am still trimming.

The rear is a factory 52's with a modded flip and a kind of 3/4 elliptic buggy spring thing. Approx. 1" body lift.