Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting a 79 Bandit Trans Am

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by Blaze, May 9, 2002.

1. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Guess what my next project is? I'm selling my 75 and the 78 parts car and buying a 79 Bandit Trans Am! One of my best friends has the car and he wants to get rid of it. All it does is sit and he wants someone to take care of it. He said I'm the only one he'll sell it to. It's got the 400/4spd, t-tops, and power everything! And guess what? We're going to DRIVE it to my house! When's the last time you guys heard of any of my Trans Ams actually driving? Haha. I'll post some pictures one I get it to my house. Man, I am stoked!

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

<clap clap clap clap>

3. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

Hey Blaze,
    I saw an ad in the paper today for one of those. I don't know much about them, but i've been researching them tonight, and it has got me really interested. If you don't mind, can I ask a few questions about them? I haven't called about this one in the paper, but it's a '79, and it says, "black with eagle." I assume this is the bandit package? It doesn't have the 400/4spd, but it has the 403 olds with the a/t. It has PW, PL, and AC. The ad says, "She's a beauty." He wants $6500 for it. Based on this limited info. does that seem like a good/fair price, or does she need to be extremely beautiful for that price? Mileage is not listed.
    Also, there's a local lot that has classics on it, and i stopped by the other day just for grins. They had a '79 10th anniversary T/A. They were closed, and i don't know what they want for it. It looked to be in really good shape. It had an auto tranny, so I'm assuming that this to is the olds 403? It seems that my research tonight said that the 400 was only available with the 4spd. Anyway, just in general, are the 10th anniversary's highly collectable, and do you know what a general ballpark price of the 10th anniversary should be? I know it's hard to judge these vehicles based on my limited descriptions, but any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

4. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

The "eagle" is just the bird on the hood, and by the olds 403 in it its a Trans-am not a bandit. If you want to get one, make sure and get a pontiac 400 in it. Alot better motor than the olds motor and its real easy to make alot of power out of them. Just my opinoi but I would never spend that much money for a firebird with a crappy motor in it. Find a T/A with a 400 or find a bandit. Those would sond closer to being worth that amount of money.

Dan

5. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

Thanks, Dan!!! That's exactly what i wanted to know. I've always liked trans ams, but i wasn't specifically looking for one. I saw this one in the paper and it got me curious if it was a good deal or not. I'll now know to look for the 400 if i see any more. Thanks again.

6. lifted95z71

lifted95z71 1/2 ton status

please do us all a favor aqnd do some engine work on it. those 79's were at eh hieght of teh gas crunch are were mighty lean on ponies. other than that my may be one of the coolest cars ever.

7. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

They made Bandits with the 403 in it. I know that they only made about 1,000 Bandits with the 400/4spd, but I thinkthey made 9,874 Bandits with the 403/AT combo.

8. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah, as for the price, if it is a Bandit and it is in excellent shape, then $6500 is a great price. To see if it is a Bandit, look for the gold pinstriping and the gold interior accents. Run the VIN too if you can. If it is just a regular Trans Am, it would have to be in EXCELLENT shape for it to be that much.

Those 10th anniversaries are sweet. If I had a chance to buy one cheap, I would jump all over it. Find out how much that thing is and jump all over it if the price is right. It'll have either the 400 Poncho or the 403 Olds.

9. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

Thanks, Blaze. The 10th anniversary has been restored, and it is in excellent shape. They're proud of it, too. They want $10,700 for it -- too steep for me. I still haven't seen the other car yet, but i think i will look at it now.

10. zcubed

zcubed Registered Member

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Bid on that, man! That would be one sweet car!