Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting a 8-71 blower with alcohol injection...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NITRO, May 26, 2004.

1. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

I'm buying a Weiand 8-71 blower that was used for 2 races with the manifold for a BBC and alcohol injection for $600. I am going to sell the alcohol injection and should make most of my money back. but then should I put the blower on the truck or sell it? I really would like to put it on, but I am not sure if i could do it for under $1000 or less. What all new is needed? Can i keep my stock HEI? If I can keep that I could buy a timing controller that retards the timing with more boost. What about the brackets to keep my PS and Alternator? The A/C is already removed so no worries there. The engine is a 454 with 10:1 compression with all forged internals. What specs on the cam do I need? Thanx for any help, I really would like to get it on the truck, but I wont be able to if it is much over $1000. Thanx

NITRO

2. steveo

steveo Registered Member

correct me if i am wrong but with an 8-71 blower and 10:1 compression, isnt that way to much compression for that blower, maybe if you were down around 8.5 or 9.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You might want to poke around on this website a bit: http://www.blowerdriveservice.com/

But I think you're gonna find that the 10:1 compression ratio is going to mean that the blower will be all but useless for you. Unless you want to run 110 octane racing fuel all the time. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

From the BDS website:

"Factory cast pistons are not recommended but may be used in very low boost (3-5 lbs.) applications. Forged, low compression pistons 7-8:1 are the best choice for performance applications. Higher compression ratios are not recommended because of overheating and excessive final compression ratios. Pistons should use full floating pins and double spiro locks or buttons for high performance applications. In cases where alcohol is used, the compression ratio of the engine should be between 10-12:1."

5. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

8-71 + 10:1 =Boom. That is way to much compression. You will need to drop down to about 7.5:1. You will also want some good heads to help move the air better. Then you want a large primary tube header to help. I'm not even going to get in to bottom end mods. Most street roots type blowers are underdriven but if you want some serious kick in the ass power you can overdrive the blower for more boost. Friend of mine used to have a 64 Vette with an overdriven 6-71 on a well built small block. The wheelee bars on the back were needed and not for show. /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

also im almost positive that the stock hei cap is way to big to fit behind that monster huffer /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

7. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

Well i figured the 10:1 would be too much too. But I have a friend running an 8-71 with 10.5:1 and stock cast heads and everyone told him the same thing but yet he has not had any problems with it to date. I plan on scrapping the alcohol injection and selling it, as it is not exactly streetable. Im not really looking to race this truck. It is more of a show truck/DD anyways(yes i know show truck, but it still sees its fair share of mud too) I just figured for a deal this good, I cannot pass it up. I had planned on underdriving it, as to what ratio, I am unsure of just yet. The guy Im buying it from still races dragsters and said he would help me get it all set up and tuned. So now it is just a matter of what it would cost to get it all on there and going. Thanx

NITRO

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The drive system alone will run you about $800.00, add another $100.00 for the belt, another $250.00-$300.00 for the manifold, then you still need a carb adapter. Also the HEI will not fit behind a blower.

9. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

for 600.00 is real cheap, a blower manifold is worth 200.00 Is the blower set up for alcohol? what kind of injection is on it. If it has a hat" that is worth 500.00.does it come with the drive? list the details and I can tell you what it is worth......

10. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

it is the 8-71 polished with the polished manifold and im not sure on the whole alcohol thing. All he said was it includes the blower, intake for a BBC, and alcohol injection system. I will find out more when i talk to the guy next, but i figure for the price i can resell it if all else fails. I may be able to get a belt and the drive system, but not sure. like i said, it would be for more of the show factor than anything on this truck, but will see daily driving sometimes.

NITRO

11. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

be sure to ask him what condition the rotors are in.