Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting a Blazer, should I get the 78 or the CUCV?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by LittlePig, Dec 18, 2001.

1. LittlePig

LittlePig 1/2 ton status

OK, after an extended absence, I'm back. I will be getting a blazer within the next month or so, and I have to make a decision. I am torn between a 78 and a CUCV. I like the 78 for the ease with which mods and repairs can be done, and I happen to like the round-headlight look. 78s also have no emissions requirements, so I don't have to deal with cats or air pumps. On the other hand, up here 78s are hard to find (at least in running condition). My better half doesn't like the idea of a 22-year old truck hanging around, and even if I do find one, it'll have high miles, and need all-too-frequent maintenance. The CUCV on the other hand will have substantially less miles and be far more rust-free and in better shape. However, it has a seriously underpowered diesel, and a funky electrical system that will require futzing before it becomes sensible. Also, the diesel will likely have cold-start issues up here in NH, and I can't do as much of the maintenance myself. Also, I don't much like the square-light look, so I would be always planning a clip swap.

I'm gonna replace both axles and the T-case anyway, and it'll have new rims and tires, so that aspect of either truck doesn't matter. However, I do have to consider that I will be driving the truck a lot, and I want to make the right choice. I would appreciate any thoughts any of you have on this. With all the experience here I oughta be able to get a real rounded picture with all the angles laid out. That way I should be able to see anything I might not have considered before I buy. Thanks, everyone.

Email: littlepig@keepandbeararms.com

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All old trucks need frequent maintenance and repairs unless you replace every wearable part at one time.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

3. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

get the CUCV and when you do the axle swap sell the old ones to me for a cup full of dirt!
    justin

Austin, Texas K5'er