Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting a Blazer, what 1st?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by terky, Sep 19, 2004.

1. terky

terky Registered Member

Hey dudes,

I am getting a 1985 k5 with the 6.2 in it and was wondering what the 1st thing i should do would be? I know on a gas engine i would just do a tuneup with plugs and rotor type stuff, but what should i do on a Diesel? The guy i am buying it from said the glow plugs are good and it started up as soon as i turned the key. I figured i would change the filters and all the fluids.

The odometer says it has 93,000 miles but there is no place for the 100,000 digit, should i just pull the motor and rebuild it? Because then it would be fresh and i wouldnt have to worry about anything. I would still have another vehicle so it wouldnt have to happen fast.

And also it needs a new instrument cluster, or thats what i was told, the speedo doesnt work (could need a new line or new gear in the tranny) and i think it was the temp gauge missing a needle. After i get it home i will figure out what else doesnt work. Is there a site that would have an aftermarket kit for it? I think it would be cool to have white gauges in there.

Anyways thanks a lot guys.

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I had white guages in my 76, looked cool. I used blue bulbs in the dash to give it a "glow". But I got an overlay decal kit from Lyons designs, lyons@glccomputers.com a member here. It was under 30.00 and easy to install. I'm gonna do it with my 89 also. You can usually find used guages and other parts here in the for-sale section. I have a few partial clusters, but no temp guages or speedo's.
    As far as the engine goes, most diesels are built to last 200,000 or before they need any engine work. However, that is subject to how well it was maintained. It would be fairly expensive to rebuild it as compared to a gas engine, so unless you think it needs it, i would just run it.

What tranny does it have? 700R4? These are problems in most trucks. If it hasn't been rebuilt yet, expect it!

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

The first thing You should check on any leaf sprung GM 4x4 is the frame around the steering box. That area is prone to cracking. If there are cracks there are repair kits and braces to cure the problem. Second would be check the brakes and other steering componets. Dont matter how it runs if You cant steer or stop.
    As far as the engine goes if it sounded good and started right up I would run it after doing the fluid and filter changes like You said. I would also change the fluids in the axels and tranny. If its an automatic make sure You flush out the transmision cooler and lines when You service the tranny. Most parts stores have cans of cleaner that screws on to the tranny line kinda like fix a flat on a tire. I would also check and or flush the cooling system.

4. terky

terky Registered Member

Yeah it has the 700r4 tranny, is the 700r4 a weak tranny? Should i save up and get a th400 and new tcase or just rebuild it when it needs it?
    It seems well taken care of. The 1st guy who had it put on a filter to remove any water from the fuel, I figure if he went that far he most likely took care of the rest of it.

And the brakes work, i test drove it. i will probly change them anyways though, i dont really trust anybody but myself.

Also it has a 4 inch lift in the front and 5 in the back, 33 inch tires and a new rear end. It also has a skid plate under the tranny and tcase.

Thanks for the help and i will check around the steering box.

5. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

Myself I have never had a 700r4 so I cant say. I do know that I see every day on here that someone either says they are crap or that they love them. Myself I feel that most people that have problems with them either dont service them or they run big tires with out the right axel gears or they are hard on the skinny pedal. Maybe a combo of all of them. The advantages of the th700 is the lower first gear and the overdrive. I would rebuild it when the time comes and do all the upgrades to it to cure any downfalls of 700r4. There is lots of info here and plenty of guys to help out.

6. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

As far as the 700r4. If it works, don't worrie about it. If it fails in the future, at that time I'd consitter a sm465.

7. terky

terky Registered Member

Ok thanks alot for all the help, hopefully i will have it at my house in a few days. I will take some pics and post em when i can too.