Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting a Detroit Out

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Hossbaby50, Apr 16, 2005.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Is there any special way to get a Detroit out of a 14bff carrier? I just pickup up a used 14bff Detroit and need to get it out of its current carrier and into mine. Is there any special way to get it out? Don't they come with a bolt and wingnut to hold them together? Or just split the carrier?

Harley

2. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

The bolt and wingnut just hold the locker together in the box. It is not actually part of the locker. Mark the orientation of the carrier (put a punch mark on both sides so you can put it back together the way it came apart) and unbolt the halves.

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The side gears are spring loaded. The locker will come apart as you remove it from the carrier. It MUST be reassembled properly or it won't lock at all (your truck won't move). A screw or a piece of allthread, about 8 inches long and a couple of nuts and washers will make the whole process easier. :cool1:

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

BTW make sure the washers will fit through the carrier when you want to take the allthread out :blush: It's a lot of work to take the carrier all the way back apart lol. Don't ask me how I know this. :D

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I found the bolt and washers from my DL out in the garage. The bolt is 5 inches long and the washers are 1.5 inch across. :cool1:

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Sweet Harry. I just picked up 2 1.5" washers and a 4" and 5" bolt from the hardware store. Should be ready to split this case and get my Detroit out soon. Should be going in next weekend.

I am going to have to relearn how to drive the truck though since I am so used to the welded rear. Should be interesting to be able to turn corners more sharply now and not worry as much about tire wear.

It is kinda funny to me but if I am going somewhere I don't plan the most direct route there, I plan the route with the least amount of corners. :D

Harley