Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting a dog to quiet down

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Jun 22, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

This is really stressing me....my dog barks...A LOT and very loud at just about anything! . since we live out of town and on 1.25 acres it doesn't bother anyone (that I know of) but now we are moving into town, on .16 acres! And with a bunch of neighboors all around us, plus a busy street and a little alley-way.
    My dog is around 3-4 years old. Yellow lab, german shepard, char-pei, and something else breeed LOL. He is friendly with lots of enegry. He will bark if someone knocks on the door, pulls up in the driveway, makes a weird noise somewhere other than in our yard, other dogs close by, barking at other dogs, people walking on the street, deer, etc.
    I don't want to get complaints or annoy people around our house with our dog barking all the time. It's not so bad out here now because you can only hear it when your upstairs and or outside. And the neighboorr have dogs, so they are fine. the other neighboors are way down the street, or a few acres away. So its hard to hear the dog.

My ideas so far are a zapper collar (when he barks, he gets a zap. But I heard a sad story from my moms friend tonight, the collar on her friends dog or soemthing mal-functioned. So it kept zapping when the dog MOVED. So after a while it got a big burn around it's neck, then it was TERRIFIED to even move. Sad :( )
    Also a muzzle thing, but thats kind of mean too.
    We'd have him inside as much as possible, and walk him regularly to keep him active and non-barking. But I don't know how we can prevent it otherwise.
    I don't know for sure, but I am predicting that when people walk by the alleyway, he may bark. I may just have to wait and see how it goes.
    We are going on holidays on the 13th for 3 weeks. And we still need to move all our stuff over, and build a fence (proabbyl hire someone my mom says) so he can't get out. He is a crafty little devil! We have 6' fence all the way around his "yard" right now, and logs along the bottom so he can't get our.

I have always thought "what if" and again, I keep thinking "what if..." or what happens if..." etc.

I want our neighboors to like us, not hate us and get annoyed.

SO i'm done my book...
    Anyone have any ideas to keep him quiet? Just to recap, we will have him inside a lot, in the garage when its too hot inside (cold cement floor in the gargage), walk him frequently to let him get used to the sounds and noises near by, possible by a bark collar (i dont know though, dont want to hurt him) and thats all I can think of...

HELP im scared!

2. google

google 1/2 ton status

I was going to say the zap coller too. I wouldn't get discouraged over one story. I can tell you several good stories about them. Plus, they are tons of fun when you get someone over at your house and you get them really drunk. Then you use the remote zapper..... Man, I have stories. But, I vote zapper!! The only better way is some serious one on one training. That's the best if you have all the time in the world.

3. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

well, a friend at work only uses the shock collar on a limited scale. mostly when he's awake and home is when the dog wears the collar. he says it has helped out a lot and makes him understand there's a time and place to bark.

I broke my dog by throwing a bucket of water on him. it only took one time to get his attention. I spanked him, scolded him, even bought a gadget that emits a high frequency about the size of a remote control for a TV and nothing worked. the only time he barked from then on was when strangers came into the yard or rode by on a bike. hell, he even barked at other animals in the yard and wouldn't go after them until I said "go". I loved that dog and miss him terribly. the dog I have now only barks at me when she wants me to pet her. there could be several cars to drive up and she'll just lay there.........dumb dog! but I love her too :crazy: .

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Every time he barks, hit him with a baseball bat. Sooner or later he'll stop barking.......:deal:

I hate barking dogs, just in case you couldn't tell. :D

5. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

Yeah, we had an out of control ,all white pit bull that we got when he was a pup, he got so bad he was chewing holes through the doors, growling at kids, and biting the tires on moving cars...we just had to let him go :frown1:

I miss him,,,

But , Steve,have you tried kicking the crap out of him? :D I know it sounds mean, but, some dogs are really, really hard headed. Just tell him to shut up or something real loud and scary, i dunno. :)

6. nc87k5

nc87k5 3/4 ton status

and breathing! yikes! why are you so hard on the poor critters? do we need to call PETA :rotfl: :rotfl:

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't want to beat him! Sometimes when he makes me mad i want to shhh! But if I ACTUALLY did it, I couldn't live knowing what I did. I think it's horrible.

8. 78jimmygirl

78jimmygirl Registered Member

This is the same dog that would not stop digging up your garden a while back right so does the dog anything right? :p: :dunno: I had real purdy hound a few months ago but my dad made me get rid of it cause the dog (Colby) would wine all night long

9. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

I would suggest a muzzle at night if he stays outside. It seems to be the most humane way of dealing with it.

My pit bull never barks, unless someone is around the house. Our neighbors have two little yippy dogs that bark non stop when Homer and I are playing in the back yard. He just looks at them like they are crazy for wanting a piece of him.

10. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Don't use a zap collar. I had a gf who got one for her dog and it did not move while wearing it. It was effective but inhumane. I wondered why it didn't move and was affraid of it so I held it in my hand and hit it on the counter to activate it. That was freakin' painful and I could see 2 little black dots where I got electricuted. Those things should be outlawed. I think that before they sell one of those to someone they should make them wear it on their neck and get zapped a few times to see how they like it.
    Now onto your problem. A lab sheppard mix sounds like a very smart dog. They are also very active. Barking, digging, chewing things up are all signs of boredom and frustration. A few simple walks are not enough exercise for him. Have you tried running with him (maybe ride a bike while he runs along side you) or taking him to a dog park so he can run around with other dogs? Mental stimulation like training or learning tricks helps with his boredom and, believe it or not, also tires him out. What kind of toys does he have? Toys that make him think or work for his treats are great entertainment and time killers. I got my lab mix one of these balls and he loves it. Very durable and you can put treats inside it like broken dog biscuits or peanut butter - hours of entertainment. There are also other toys that that are specifically made to put treats inside or entertain the brain, but I'd have to remember where I saw those if your interested.
    BTW: getting another dog would keep him company. It might seem counterproductive and more work, but they'll chase each other all day long and stay out of trouble.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2005
  11. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

I've heard these work pretty good ;)

I don't know, both of my dogs bark a lot, but there are probably at least 15 dogs on this block... maybe more. When one starts, they all start :( It's especially annoying when the sirens go... boy do they like to sing :cool:

I have seen these collar things that spray some citronella in their face when they bark. Maybe something like that would be better than gettin' electrocuted? :dunno:

12. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have used training collars ("Zap Collars") for years. They work very well, but the owner has to learn how and when to use them. They are very effective without being turned up high enough to actually burn. A light shock is all you need, and yes I have always tried them on myself first. Labs can be hard headed, espicially in the field.

Try an inexpensive one, use it when the dog starts barking along with a repremand. No need to turn it all the way up. Don't make a big deal about the collar, you don't want the dog to associate the shock with the collar, but with the barking or other bad behavior. Make sure that the dog has a collar on at all times.

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

YES!! Please do! Pamela Anderson will be coming over if you do!!! :bow: :bow: :bow: :saweet: :saweet: :saweet: :woot: :woot: :woot:

14. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

DONT USE SHOCK COLLARS: THEY are totally inhumane. Put one on and see what it feels like. Guarantee you'll sh*&t your pants it will hurt so bad. THis is how dogs communicate. How would you like it if every time you spoke you had some nice electricity ripping into your caratoid arteries (very sensitive area).
    If you love your dog and are a responsible owner check out the citronella collars. The dogs hate the smell and they will associate the bark with bad smell. That is good. Do you want your dog to fear you? I know I don't. My exwife always told me stories of shockcollared dogs and "debarked" dogs that would come into the vet clinic where she worked. She is still a vet tech and she swears that the citronella products are the best out there. Some vet offices rent them and you can buy them online for a comparable price to shock collars.
    I love my german shorthair pointers. I have 4 of them and they need attention and exercise. Be a responsible owner and let these family members have your time and consideration. There is no QUICK FIX for this.

15. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

The collar that I'm using right now has 7 levels. I can hardly feel Level 1, and I use 3 most of the time. Its just like the electric fence that I am using (one of my labs is a digger) - low amperage. Both are uncomfortable, bu neither hurts. Like I said, I tried the collar on myself and I hit the fence all of the time.

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

yup--VERY effective!..

Dont get me wrong guys--I LOVE animals,we have 2 indoor cats and my mom feeds about 12-15 stray cats,has for years...

(I dont approve of that--its unfair to the neighbors,one of which who was a good friend has broken off our friendship over the cats,they get into her yard and dig up her flower beds,crap everywhere,etc--but she means well--its not right she wont get them spayed though,but they are feral,and you cant get near them at all--every year another litter of kittens come along--some live till adulthood--others I find squashed in the street near the mailbox...our town wont help ,they say the "dog" officer only does DOGS!--most they will do is lend me a trap!--which the cats will not go into,even when baited with sardines!.. :surepal: :screwy: ..its going to be a BIG hassle to get rid of them when my mom passes--I dont have any money to feed them,and they are a nuisance anyway..but I still hate the thought of hurting or killing any of them just the same..)

Anyway--back to the dog question!--as you guys may know,I have been unfortunate to have lived 2 houses away from a guy who has a malamute Husky--for over 6 years now,that dam dog has barked incessantly,all hours of the day and night!--it got to the point where I could not walk around in my yard,work outside,watch TV in my shop,or anything else without that mutt barking constantly...since I live near a Wal-Mart,and about 10 accidents a day occur at the entrance to it,every time the sirens start wailing--so does the dog--it seems they tie it outside and leave it out there until either someone calls the cops and complains,or they just decided it needed to go inside...(I have been VERY tempted to call the owner,or the police--but never have,for fear of retalliation--they would likely say the stray cats we have are just as much a nuisance--but at least they are quiet 90% of the time,other than an occaisional catfight..

Now that dog hasn't been outside much lately--but now there is ANOTHER dog with an equally annoying bark they got recently tied out there!--and all the other dogs around start barking too(sounds like 10-15 of them!) every time it starts yapping--one in particular sounds like a rottwielder--I suspect it belongs to a police officer who lives about 500 ft away to the rear of my yard--he leaves it ouside friday,saturday and sunday all night,and it adds to the frustration I have to deal with--no sense in calling the police to complain--cops wont do anything to one of their own--and they dont hav to obey laws anyway--seems they are exempt and can do whatever they please..only us peasants have to obey the law around here..

Like I said before--I love animals,and would hate to hurt any--but after putting up with those barking mutts so long,I think I'm losing it--I have come pretty close to going over there with my axe and chopping its FU*&^^$ head right off--or borrowing a gun and some bullets!--its a form of suburban torture,having to put up with peoples stupidity and ignorance!--dont THEY ever get sick of hearing their OWN dog??--Do THEY ever sleep??...its like the jerk that insists on mowing his lawn at 7-8 am on sunday morning,when all the other folks are trying to enjoy their only day to sleep in late.....If I flip my lid and kill them all,can I plead insanity??---I would not doubt if I AM nuts after this many years of their bull...it sucks you have to pay 300 grand for a house,4000 in taxes every year--just to have NO quality of live or peace and quiet..I'm on the verge of a nervous breakdown as it is!!.PEOPLE SUCK!!.. :mad:

SO--if any of you have a shred of decency--KEEP YOUR DOGS INSIDE AND QUIET PLEASE!!!!--- I have no easy answers as to how to prevent dogs from barking...but if my "neighbor" would put 3 sections of the wood fence he has had stacked behind his shed for the past 5 years around where the dogs are tied out--they would not see me,or most of the other things they bark at,and it would not be such a problem.(he and his kids also ride a quad constantly,antagonizing the dog,and making it bark even more!--they also tore up our property way out in the back with it,but thats another rant!).I geuss he's saving them for a bonfire when they rot away too much to be used as fencing.. :dunno: :screwy: --now a KENNEL has oppened just a few houses farther down! :angry1: :yikes: :doah: :frown1: somebody shoot me please! :frown1:

.I blame the OWNERS for being ignorant--but its the DOG that gets the blame.--why do people buy dogs,then tie them outside and ignore them??..I think they do it on purpose just to piss off the neighbors...all I can say is next time I need to break in a camshaft at 2500 RPM with open headers,I'm doing it at midnite!--If they dont like it--I'll just tell them if its OK for YOU to ruin MY sleep,then I should be able to do it to YOU too!...the bible says an eye for an eye... Nothing personal against anyone here with dogs--but do me a favor,and keep them FAR away from me!...I've had enough of them...:crazy:

17. Shanno

Shanno Registered Member

Barking dogs

When I took my dog to training class, the instructor showed us how to break the barking with lemon juice. Just hold one of those little lemon shaped containers in your hand when the dog barks, squirt it in their mouth and say "no barking" (or whatever you want). I saw a little yippy dog stop barking in 3 squirts. This, of course, didn't work on my dog, a Golden retreiver. They seem to love the stuff, they need hot to break them. I started with cinimon breath spray and then moved to tobasco sauce. It was finally the habanaro stuff that did it, but I could say "no barking" at a raised voice (not even a YELL) in my 2 acre yard and he'd stop barking.

Might be worth a try, it's cheap.

18. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Where can I get one of these? My mutt digs through the trash, jumps on the counter, pees and poops all over the yard.

She does all these things when we're not around. When we're around, she's pretty well-behaved.

19. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will try the lemon juice, or hot sauce method first. If that doesn't work I will talk to my mom about the citronella spray. Sounds really interesting! Although I don't know too much about it, would it stain or leave marks on the interior of our house? E.g. walls, wall paper, wood. because if he barked inside when it was left on, SPRAY and it could get on something else.

I'm kind of excited, that lemon idea sounds really cheap, and it might work. If it dpesn't, I will see how my mom trhinks about the citronella collar. 100 bucks is cheap to keep from going insane! LOL

Getting another dog is out of the options. We don't have the space, nor the time (my mom works shift work, usually 12 hours each shift, and we go to school for 6+ hours of day, plus homework) but thats not a very good excuse. But my dog doesn't do well with other dogs...we brought him to nelson a few years ago to see my dads friend (they have 2 dogs) and my dog kept on attacking the other dogs. It would start sniffing, then jumping or leaping at them.

I'll get some more toys for it. We have a few stuffed animals (don't know if thats the best thing) rope, and a few balls. Those balls that you fill with something inside sound interesting.

Thanks for the help guys, I will try some later on to see if it helps. Keep the suggestions coming :)

20. ronnny

ronnny 1/2 ton status

spend as much time as possible with the dog. :deal: This is what you should've thought about before getting the dog. Keep treats (small) around and when you tell the dog quiet or something and the dog listens give a treat and or praise (good boy). The more you ask him to stop the better he gets. If the lemon/hot sauce should be used as a immediate punishment (short attention span). Just like the good book says about kids and nothin' to do the dog will find something to do that is most likely somethin' you don't want (bark/dig/tear things up). :eek: