Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Getting a GM crate from the dealership?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by NEK5, Dec 10, 2006.

1. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Anyone here done it? Whats the warranty like? How are they price wise?

I`ll be looking to get a new 87-95 tbi motor sooner or later, and I`m thinking the dealership might be my best bet....

2. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

I bought a brand new 330 horse SBC crate almost 1 year ago today.
    It's a nice motor for the price. I bought a reman just before it, got 800 miles and lost a cylinder so i just decided to get a new one. Mine had a 12 month 12K miles, but with our rigs alot of us (including me) dont put half that in 12 months so i cant really tell you alot. I did put about 4500 miles on it and it's still just like it was new.

3. NEK5

How much did the dealership charge you for it? What year motor was it?

4. gotmud77

gotmud77 1/2 ton status

The gm crate motors have a 3yr 36,000 mile warrenty on parts and labour. If you go with one of the hipo crate motors you get a 12 12,000 warrenty. Thats straight from the gm dealer we deal with. Good luck. Oh and the most important part is the warrenty starts at date of purchase.

Good luck,

5. NEK5

Is there a website or something that I can look at to see what they offer?

6. bronc3buster842001

bronc3buster842001 1/2 ton status

7. k30bb468

k30bb468 1/2 ton status Premium Member

8. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

you get the 3/36k if you let them charge you a fortune to install it. If you go by and grab the crate it 1/12k, at least thats how i remember it.
    I gave just over $2k for it. I dont remember exactly, but it was by far the cheapest in town. I had a friend who new a friend and i got it at employee discount.

9. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The stock motors are warrantied for 3yr/36K (maybe 50K). The performance motors are warrantied for 1yr/12K. Also keep in mind that this is a STEALERSHIP & they will do whatever it takes to get out from under that warranty. My dad bought a stock replacement 350 for my K5 back in the day with the 3yr warranty. He had it installed by a professional mechanic friend of his. At 11k miles roughly it lots the oil seals in the # 5 & 7 cylinders. He took it to the dealer & they told him since the dealer didn't install it he was SOL. He said FU a professional mechanic installed the motor & after a conversation with the parts manager & production of the receipt from the mechanic they agreed to warranty it. If he didn't have it installed by his pro-mechanic he would have been SOL cause the Dealer wasn't going to warranty the work.

Be careful with the "warranty" & make sure you know exactly what you need to do to get it honored because you just might have to.

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

The thing with a warranty is ... you would hope you wouldn't need it. If you do ... you shouldn't have bought it in the first place :)

That said, the GM crates are NEW, not reman, and for 350's, they can't be beat. I paid about $1500 -- granted this was a few years ago -- but for a BRAND NEW motor, you can't go wrong. You can pay that for a reman from a parts house ... and warranty or not, it's still remanned.

Also, shop around your local dealers; I found a +/- $500 variance in cost within a 20 miles distance.

There are other brands of crates, mostly aimed towards performance types ... but for a stock replacement, the GM crate 350 is just amazing.

Now, for big blocks, you'd think they were made of gold... :(

-- A

11. blazersnburban

blazersnburban Registered Member

read the warranty closly....it says that a certified gm tech has to do the install for the warranty to be valid...in the midst of installing a new gm crate motor....i have a friend who is a gm master certified tech helping me and he signed off on it. they don't have to put it in at work, but it has to be installed by a certified gm tech for warranty to hold up!...

i also just ordered the 96 model 454 roller motor from ...
    http://www.rebuilt-auto-engines.com/cgi-bin/webc.cgi/st_main.html?catid=111 for right at $2000 to my door, they have crazy low prices and claim a 7yr/70,000 mile warranty, but i'm not concerned with that...its going to pro block in memphis for a complete teardown and swapping out alot of the stock parts for performance parts, thats why i wanted the roller cam big block
    i wish they had the tall deck motors, i would build another 496 like i'm running in my k5 now but with a full roller motor, i'm still searching for the aluminum headers that gm put on mobile homes in the '70's if any1 can find me some, i would pay a finders fee....i have close to $30,000 in my present engine!

12. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

Aluminum headers on a mobile home.....:thinking:

13. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

The other thing about these motors is they are hot tested for cam break-in, according to GM (not the dealer) you can install these motors and right off the bat jump on it. There is no breakin or baby'ing it for so many miles. You have much higher odds of success from the beginning over a reman.

14. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Unless it's been improved over the summer I found the site to be sub par, with different page formats for different motors. It was irritating and difficult to compare motors.

I went to the dealership and picked up the catalogue. I has become my favorite reading in the ****ter, mmmm pretty pictures. Kinda like when you were a kid leading up to Christmas...I want this one, and that one, and...

15. JIM88K5

JIM88K5 1/2 ton status

The warranty on GM replacement engines is 3 years or 100,000 miles. Witch ever occurs first. If the dealer installs it the waranty starts the day you pick it up. Over the counter waranty starts the day of the purchase. The waranty is transferable if you sale the vehicle. Performance engines and parts are 12 and 12. If anyone says otherwise it's incorrect. GM reman transmissions also carry the same warranty. End of story...

16. 90v1500

90v1500 Registered Member

I'm not sure on the warranty anymore but I replaced the TBI 350 in my 90 model about 4 years ago and 55k miles ago and no problems since (with the motor anyway) and I paid about 1200 for it back then... good deals... just my $.02:D

17. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I picked up a goodwrench 350 for $1300 almost 3 years ago. I service it regularly, and it still starts and runs strong. For the price, you can't beat it. When I got it, I believe te warranty was 3 years/ 25,000 miles, and it didn't matter if you installed it yourself or had it professionally installed. But only as long as you put it into a vehicle that rolled off the factory floor with a 350 installed.

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

if I was going to buy another crate engine from GM... I'd go with a Ramjet 350. Complete FI included and ready to roll. Not cheap, but definitely kick ass. ;)

j

19. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

20. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status